Loughborough Beer Festival

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbpicklesno2

Beer First
Reaction score
The other half introduced herself to someone at Loughborough Beer Festival yesterday afternoon and asked if he made home-brew, as I did. Turns out it was John Wood, the original founder of Oakham Ales way back in 1992 (she has a habit of dropping herself in it. She went into the Post Office Vaults pub in Birmingham and asked if they did Belgian beers. "Yes Madam, we've 250 of them").

So, we spent a very enjoyable afternoon with John and his mate Dave supping ales. He was brewing with US hops well before they were acceptable to UK taste buds. Loads of hints and tips but unfortunately, I can't remember any. So, no handy hints and tips at all really.

How do some brewery’s let beer go to a Beer Festival that have obviously been oxygenated after fermentation was completed and tastes of cardboard? Is there no quality control? Does no one taste the beer before casking? If it happened whilst casking, surely it can't be a one off event?

There was also a lack of variety of beers on offer the vast majority of which were between 3.8 and 5% ABV. Why? I know landlords are reluctant to get beers in that are over 5% but why a beer festival? Surely they should be introducing a wider range of beers to the discerning public.

Just a Sunday morning rant. Leicester Beer Festival next weekend so I should imagine more ranting.

I have a feeling he has the tips (to himself) lol.

I'd have a guess that it's taxation. As for oxygenated beer. There serving the stuff all day to foodie types who would probly pair it with a slice of grilled halloujmi with a raspberry vinegar and a few tomatiloes ;-)

I've been to a few food festivals that involved beer. They seemed more focused on the sell. They don't have time to talk. ;-)

Edit:my experience is mostly food festivals,only ever been to two beer ones :-(

Back