Lower OG Partial Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As this was your first mash, you have no idea what efficiency your method produces: as stated above, Brewmate defaults to 70% but new brewers rarely get that, I got 60% and am now up to 68%. It also varies with malt suppliers/batches, some produce more sugar than others.

I'm also wondering if you had whole grains rather than crushed grains?

I'd suggest doing another brew with the same batch of grain, something really simple like a SMASH, to try to pin down the problem.

As this was your first mash, you have no idea what efficiency your method produces: as stated above, Brewmate defaults to 70% but new brewers rarely get that, I got 60% and am now up to 68%. It also varies with malt suppliers/batches, some produce more sugar than others.

I'm also wondering if you had whole grains rather than crushed grains?

I'd suggest doing another brew with the same batch of grain, something really simple like a SMASH, to try to pin down the problem.
This was my second mash, the first time I used 3kg of grain and I got the target OG. I definitely used crushed Maris otter pale malt but this time I used flaked oats and flaked wheat as well

You'll get very little if any fermentables out of the oats and wheat..
Yes but I think the extra KG has caused the problem and my mash has become stodgy as it was only in 10 litres of water in a 15L pot

Latest posts

Back