Luckyeddie's AG#6 - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mickeyt69 said:
Like it ! Still on for a bottle swap in a couple of months when they are both ready?

Sure thing - I'll see if I can arrange a weekend trip oop north for me and the missus (I haven't worked in Boro for years). Probably Whitby - then we can meet up somewhere. I'll PM you later in the year about it.

Just found the B&B I stayed at on Google Maps Street View.

Anchor Lodge.

Update:

6 more days of primary fermentation at an elevated temperature did the trick - she came down to 1012. The taste is utterly incredible, allowing for the fact that it is still very young and by no means finished.

I have batch primed with just 120 mls of candi syrup, which equates to around 60 g of sugar and bottled it in 1 litre PET bottles. At the moment, they are tucked up nice and warm - in a couple of days they will be moved to the fridge at 6C to complete the conditioning process. I'd like to give them a couple of months to do them justice, but there's little chance of that happening. I have two fridges - I reckon that's about two too few.

Nice info there LE. Makes me want to brew a dark strong. I'm opting to do a tripel this weekend. You are so right about the art in Belgian brewing. I always enjoy making and drinking a nice strong Belgian ale!

I took a few bottles of my first and second-ever Belgian brews (LE AG#3 and AG#4 I think) down to my son's place in Bristol at Easter. He said that the one brewed with Duvel yeast (harvested from a bottle) was as good a beer as he'd ever tasted, and the one with WLP550 (Achouffe) was up there too. Flattery indeed.

I put it to the test, and took him to Colston Yard, a pub with around 20 Belgian beers.

Mine stood up to the test pretty well - however, he was possibly just being polite seeing as he sampled draught Duvel, Kwak and Trappistes Rochefort 10. His eyes lit up when he tasted the Rochefort, but I don't mind being Number 2 to such a wonderful beer.

The bottles of AG#6 have firmed up nicely as the priming takes effect. I'll give them until Friday then they are going in the fridge for a couple of months.

Best of luck with the tripel. It's a kick-ass style.

Latest posts

Back