Making perry for the first time - any advice welcome!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for ten years, but haven't ventured into cider-making. Seeing as my parents have a pear tree in their garden, whose pears are hard and tart and which they do nothing with, I feel like I should have a go at making perry later this year.

As a complete novice when it comes to cider and perry, any advice is welcome on pressing, yeast, process, etc!

I've never made perry, or `pear cider' as it tends to be called these days. But - sounds like your pears are keepers, in that they're inedible when picked but sweeten and soften up on storage.
I do make cider. If you juice them straight away the resulting cider is like drinking battery acid. But store them for 3 or 4 weeks and the acidity levels plummet. I did mine for 4 weeks last year and there was hardly any acidity at all.

Second Cwrw666s advice regarding storage.As for yeast I would use ec-1118 especially if you intend to sparkle it
But then i use that for most white wines 😁
This yeast will get you to just about any %abv you want,And is the yeast for adding a bit of sparkle.

Pears come up slightly short on flavour when fermented so use plenty,And then some more.

If you don't have a press i would recommend a "pulp" fermentation,Skins and all.!!!
Use pectolase and a bit of heat to break down the fruit (don't boil.) then add pectolase to the cool juice/pulp when starting fermentation.

Last edited:
Second Cwrw666s advice regarding storage.As for yeast I would use ec-1118 especially if you intend to sparkle it
But then i use that for most white wines 😁
This yeast will get you to just about any %abv you want,And is the yeast for adding a bit of sparkle.

Pears come up slightly short on flavour when fermented so use plenty,And then some more.

If you don't have a press i would recommend a "pulp" fermentation,Skins and all.!!!
Use pectolase and a bit of heat to break down the fruit (don't boil.) then add pectolase to the cool juice/pulp when starting fermentation.

I was thinking about getting a scratter and/or press, but how would you go about a pulp fermentation? Just chop the pears (or use a blender? we have one of those nutriblast things that can pulp anything), heat, then ferment everything?

Do I need to add a campden tablet to the juice? Would you recommend fermenting with a bought yeast, as opposed to the wild yeast on the fruit itself?

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to cider and perry, so apologies for all the questions...

Well if you get it to about 80c (not boiling) the juice/fruit will be sanitised.
Any wild yeast will be killed along with the nasties so you will need to add your own yeast (once its cooled)
EC-1118 is ideal.
Wild yeast is very hit and miss,not many will go beyond 5%abv the yeast i have suggested can on a good day get you to nearly 20%abv. (depending on how much sugar you add.)

Dont forget to add a dose of pectolase. Again once its cool.
And some yeast nutrient.

There will be no need for campden if you pasturise the juice as above.

A blender is fine,I would recommend the use of a fermentation bucket rather than a demijohn due to all the pulp.

Good luck.!! athumb..

Latest posts

Back