Making your own sausages

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a recipe for a basic pork sausage?
There are a few in the links I posted earlier. here's one

and another

Do you use natural on synthetic skins?
Natural only. I've used hog and sheep so far. Hog are tougher, I don't like them oven baked....tough. Sheep are softer but split more easily when extruding. So far I prefer sheep casings.

We have made some but they can only be described as Ok. Seems to be not enough fat in them to be honest. With the cost of the ingredients we can buy better quality commercially made
You'll be hard pushed to make your own cheaper as the meat you buy has already been 'marked up'. If it's about cost savings I wouldn't bother ;)

Our ingredients are normally bellypork (including the rind) breadcrumbs and spices. Turn out a bit dry to be honest.
Own made sausages will be dryer, your putting less fat and water in them, amongst other dubious additives. We've found that the more belly pork, the slimier the taste, we don't like more than 20% BP.

Thanks Vossy,

My question was actually directed to MEB as I didn't quite follow his comment:

MEB said:
........ Have found that a mix of pork and mutton fat to be just about right......

The recipes I've found previously all seem to use pork shoulder or a mixture of pork shoulder and bellypork. I've never been sure if I should include the skin or not. I've tried both ways and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Hiya all my mrs is Danish and makes a mean sausage it really is gud ...she makes they about 12inchs long and curls them up and biols them for 3-5mins then frys them in butter !! :D they r called Medisterpoelse .. and if u fancy giving emm a try heres how :thumb:

1kg Minced pork (shoulder or leg is gud) not too fatty.. max 10%
1 Onion (minced so its mushy)
salt
pepper
1tsp all spice
1tsp ground cloves
1/2tsp ground ginger
Cold boiled water add last to bind (must be firm but pliable)

Mix it all with your hands dont use any gadgets get stuck in

when all mixed ...b4 putting in casing pull of a little mix and roll into ball then flatten into pattie fry and taste then adjust till u r happy bunny :cheers: :D

bigred said:
Thanks Vossy,

My question was actually directed to MEB as I didn't quite follow his comment:

MEB said:
........ Have found that a mix of pork and mutton fat to be just about right......

The recipes I've found previously all seem to use pork shoulder or a mixture of pork shoulder and bellypork. I've never been sure if I should include the skin or not. I've tried both ways and it didn't seem to make much difference.

If you are using pork shoulder and belly from a domestic pig it will have ample fat. The meat I use is from wild pigs, deer, ducks and goats. None of which have much fat on them except the occasional wild sow. I get through around 3 hogget per year and the fat from anywhere on the animal is saved - along with any from the pigs - backfat is the best IMO. As I hunt and butcher all our annual meat myself(I don't hunt sheep though - I do a bit of work for a sheep farm and they pay me with an animal) I end up with all the trimmings etc and we usually mix different meats together for our sausages and mince. Duck adds great flavour and you don't need much but it's very lean. The combination of mutton fat and pork fat works well in the mix of meats but would probably be too 'sheepy' for a pork sausage.

^^ still a bit vague.

I think you need to send some samples. :D

Back