Malolactic Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davestep

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined here

First time making wine,

Used cabernet grapes in plastic barrels.

Primary fermentation almost completed, wine smells extremely strong.

I found out last night about secondary fermentation known as malolactic fermentation that is done in Glass or wooden barrels.

Is it a must to do it in a glass or wooden barrel or can I do secondary fermentation in the plastic barrel (on a tight budget)?

What is the purpose of secondary fermentation?

Do I need to mix it every day?

Should I avoid oxygen getting into the wine?

Any important things to know regarding secondary fermentation?

Secondly, I see I can purchase oak pieces to put into glass barrels will this achieve the same or at least similar outcome vs actually putting the wine in to an oak barrel?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Welcome to the forum, a fellow winemaker.

Can I ask where & when you obtained your grapes. Asking because what you have will determine what you can do.

Malo fermentation can be done in anything, but there are some rules. Have you sulphited at all?

@MashBag, thanks for your response.

I got the grapes around 50 days ago they come from the middle east.

I did not and do not intend to add any sulphites, due to a family allergy to sulphites.

Why do ppeople say you have to do malo in glass or wood? obviously would prefer not to but curious to know

Blimey so many thoughts, in my head.

50 days.. When did you stop mixing?

Why the sugar? Were the grapes lacking?

Malo bacteria can be added straight away (imo day after yeast) you can add it now. You can add now, but the two guidelines are really Al less 18c & no sulphite (tick)

tbh, I'm following my father in laws recipe but he's old school and never even heard of malo fermentation.
i took grapes of stems and burst the and added sugar to apparently hep begin the fermentation
I have been mixing every day and continue to do so
strong smell of alcohol/ wine - haven't tasted it yet, too nervous lol.
R you telling me malo is something you add? i tohught malo fermentation is to let it sit in a barrel so wine can rest...
Please fill me in here?

Malo is a naturally occuring bacteria. Often perpetuated in wooden barrels. But that is hit and miss. Modern winemaking techniques add it as a culture.

"old school" Did you use yeast?

Taste it. Until you do you have no idea what is happening.

Malolactic conversion (also known as malolactic fermentation or MLF) is a process in winemaking in which tart-tasting malic acid, naturally present in grape must, is converted to softer-tasting lactic acid. Malolactic fermentation is most often performed as a secondary fermentation shortly after the end of the primary fermentation, but can sometimes run concurrently with it. The process is standard for most red wine production and common for some white grape varieties such as Chardonnay, where it can impart a "buttery" flavor from diacetyl, a byproduct of the reaction.

In my experience it a longer slower fermentation, and your vessels must have airlocks as per normal. Stop mixing - you are introducing oxygen unnecessarily.
Adding oak chips is fine.

Malo is a naturally occuring bacteria. Often perpetuated in wooden barrels. But that is hit and miss. Modern winemaking techniques add it as a culture.

"old school" Did you use yeast?

Taste it. Until you do you have no idea what is happening.
No Did not add yeast, from what I understand the grapes skins have their own yeast on them and was advised not to wash them.
Yes i am going to taste it later today.
Are you saying malo is likely to happen in a wooden barrel? until now its been in a plastic barrel so chances are lower?
If i add oak chips will that increase the likelihood of it happening?

Go to Wikipedia to read all about it. I see you are a first timer - don't sweat it - just dont bottle your wine until all the fermentation has finished. The first and hardest thing to learn is PATIENCE.

Malolactic conversion (also known as malolactic fermentation or MLF) is a process in winemaking in which tart-tasting malic acid, naturally present in grape must, is converted to softer-tasting lactic acid. Malolactic fermentation is most often performed as a secondary fermentation shortly after the end of the primary fermentation, but can sometimes run concurrently with it. The process is standard for most red wine production and common for some white grape varieties such as Chardonnay, where it can impart a "buttery" flavor from diacetyl, a byproduct of the reaction.

In my experience it a longer slower fermentation, and your vessels must have airlocks as per normal. Stop mixing - you are introducing oxygen unnecessarily.
Adding oak chips is fine.
@Stevieboy thank you for your indight.
I will stop mixing, my main question is to i need to be concerned about the empty space in the barrel brining in air to the wine?
I have been using an air lock until now

@Stevieboy thank you for your indight.
I will stop mixing, my main question is to i need to be concerned about the empty space in the barrel brining in air to the wine?
I have been using an air lock until now
Well - how big is the space ? f the wine is still fermenting, it will cover the surface with CO². But ideally you want as smaller space as possible. But like I said, leave it now until fermentation is over fully, and don't disturb it further. Maybe post a pic of your set up?

Latest posts

Back