malt prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I know its not a major concern for homebrewers and the smaller micros but the prices of Malt seem to be going skywards...
I used to buy Bairds malt but have found them to be inconsistent recently with extraction and colour. In January I was paying about 13.50 per 25 kg of pale ale malt...its now nearer 18quid...

your lucky I've always payed over £20 for my one sack !

No doubt the prices will continue to rise... :(

Wow wish I could get malt that cheap, usually pay £32.99 for mine. I understand that you'd get a decent discount for buying in bulk but that's a great price!

Warminster Maltings have con seeded that their current batch of LCMO has a very poor extract. Its the end of last years malt so they are now blending the new season malt to help. Very poor harvest last year so prices will climb. In January all malt from Warminster went up 10% which was a shocker.

We get it crushed at .78p per Kg.

D :thumb:

Think yourselves lucky , have you seen the price of wheat malt , often only in 1kg bags so no bulk order bonus . I'm paying over £40 for 25kg ( i also only have german and belgian grain which is dearer ) but still working out something like 40/50p a pint while it's over £2 in the shops and can be as much as £4 in pubs (wheat beer) so very cheap compared to that .

pittsy said:
Think yourselves lucky , have you seen the price of wheat malt , often only in 1kg bags so no bulk order bonus . I'm paying over £40 for 25kg .

I visited a local micro brewery to me last summer to buy some grains and they wanted £52 a 25kg sack of marris and £54 a kilo of hops.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: So I only bought £5 kg for a £10 just to be polite, nice people just a tad expensive .....

Andy

Good harvest here, most maltsters expect prices will be at the same level as in 2012 or even lower. DMG announced they will not need to import their "Carlsberg variety" barley from Ukraine this year.

My local microbrewer was very fair at £1.50 a kg. £6.99 for 3kg in the shops. I made the decision to go for 25kgs and got it for £24 from the Malt Miller. I also got a lot of hops as it was the same postage for the whole order. Got my costs down to about 20p a pint.
I got it unmilled, as I expect it to last a while with my current drinking habits. And I quite enjoy turning the handle on my little mill.

Here in Norway, a 25 KG sack of Maris Otter is about £45...
I haven't noticed the prices moving much tho, but i would like to see them drop :cheers:

up to £695 ton from fawcett
minimum order 250 kg though 10 sacks
so about £17 quid a 25kg sack from there.
Anybody know where to get 25 kilos from and how much delivered?

nobyipa said:
up to £695 ton from fawcett
minimum order 250 kg though 10 sacks
so about £17 quid a 25kg sack from there.
Anybody know where to get 25 kilos from and how much delivered?

I may be forced into doing this for the big kit. I brew once a month so its pointless getting 1 ton delivered, 10 bags is still a lot as I get through 5 bags per brew..

My host brewery normally overorders to take into account that I need some malt and we split the delivery charges. I used to get the odd bag from Bairds at Grantham if passing.

If I have to go to Fawcetts, does anyone want to buy the malt I do not need??

Generally I will buying:-

Maris Otter and Lager Malt

Try Leek brewery <£17 per bag, think its bairds, but seems fine this year

Back