Mandarina Bavaria and Experimental 366

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
Just back from a lunchtime trip to The Malt Miller and, amongst other things, I am now the proud owner of 100g each of Mandarina Bavaria and Experimental 366.

I'm planning a couple of single hop pales with these.

Anyone used them? What were your impressions, what worked, what didn't??

I made a brew with Experimental 366 a few weeks back. It's going in the corny tonight. I haven't tasted it yet but they smelled great in the pack and when I was brewing, so that's encouraging. I'll probably sneak a taste while I'm racking it up.

Cool! Keep me posted - might brew them next weekend in a single-mash-double-boil brewday... :)

So I just had a sneak taste of the Experimental 366 beer. It was a pale SMASH using a WLP644 yeast. It is quite bitter and the bitterness is a little harsh, it's only been in the corny for 2 days so hopefully this will age out a little. I would perhaps use it cautiously if you are bittering with it. Taste and aroma wise I think it is going to be pretty awesome. I'm getting massive tropical fruit probably in part due to the yeast too. It is quite Lilt like, that may not appeal to everyone but does to me. Not sure what yeast you are planning to use but I would say go for broke and chuck something that is going to create a lot of fruity esters in there. Early days yet but I think I'll probably want to brew with this hops again

Interesting! I've got a WLP001 and a WLP Irish Ale.

I guess it's getting the Irish then! :thumb:

I brewed an IPA with Mandarina Bavaria (7.0% abv, 55 IBU), where the Mandarina was added at 5, 0, dry hop in fermenter and dry hop in cask. I used other hops for multiple bittering and flavour additions. It's been one of my best beers. The tangerine and orange flavours are very characteristic and worth every penny.

Back