Mango chutney barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Chapman

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone know if the mango chutney barrels can hold pressure?
Thinking of pressure fermenting.

recycled-mango-drum-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the sort of thing I'd try. You might as well try it with one of those new diaphragm type spunding valves. Is there a rubber gasket in the lid so it's actually air tight?

No idea tbh, but seeing as I don't believe they're designed/marketed as being able to hold pressure I certainly wouldn't want to try it out
They're also not designed/marketed as mash tuns or HLT's but still get used as such!
Simple question really, only needed a simply answer!

Your first problem will be to get the flavour and smell of mango chutney out of it. I've got a 120 litre one and I've tried everything: bleach, sodium bicarbonate, hot soapy water, I've even used it for a water storage tank during a concreting project and got plenty of cement in there. After all this over three years, I still haven't got the smell of garlic out of it. I use for for storing bags of barbecue charcoal now, hoping the charcoal will pick up the smell of garlic and transfer it to the food.
It would probably hold some sort of pressure bit I doubt you'll be able to seal the lid effectively. And it's a big volume of beer to waste if the seam splits.

Hi all (again) I've finally got hold of a chutney barrel and have discovered they aren't fully water tight!
For those that ferment in them (without trying to hold pressure) do you do anything to try and seal them?

Latest posts

Back