Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made this wine following a recipe on the WOW thread - thread number 52 by Wino2012. I followed the recipe to the letter, except the yeast - I used D47.

Checked it tonight - FG of 0.996. Its done. But, it's very bland. Not the zingy taste of a Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe not using the yeast advised (a champagne yeast) didn't help, but anything I can do to recover this? Wine Tannin? Backsweeten?

Any advice would be appreciated. 👍🏻

I couldn't recommend anything to add to make it taste of a Sauvignon Blanc so maybe call it a fail this time and add something you like the taste of, bear in mind juice that contains sugar may start a very slow fermentation this has happened to me in the past after i bottled to stop it becoming a problem i cracked the screw caps every night to let the small amount of CO2 out, i never had a bottle bomb.

I couldn't recommend anything to add to make it taste of a Sauvignon Blanc so maybe call it a fail this time and add something you like the taste of, bear in mind juice that contains sugar may start a very slow fermentation this has happened to me in the past after i bottled to stop it becoming a problem i cracked the screw caps every night to let the small amount of CO2 out, i never had a bottle bomb.
Thanks for the advice Chippy. I followed that good advice and added 100ml of elderflower cordial. It tasted great - no need for further cordial. The SG was 1.001.

So, I left the carboy for the week, checking the SG every couple of days. Last night, the SG was still at 1.001, so I bottled, after passing through my new purchase of Vinebrite Filter, and the wine looks sooo clear in the bottles.

I should probably have left for another week to check the SG, but I didn't have the patience! Anyway, all bottles are now in the fridge, so chances of bottle bombs are very low.

Thanks to all for the abundance of advice and recipes on this forum. 👍🏻 😊

IMG_20200411_230254.jpg

Latest posts

Back