Metabisulphite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
I think and have been told I've over done it.
I was so looking forward this year to making Cider from a tree i planted some years ago.
Last year i had no blossom on this tree hence no apples but still made cider from what apples i could find locally.
This years crop was over loaded some branch's i had to support because of the weight of the crop.
Overall I managed to squeeze out a gallon of juice from my home made press.
Before tossing in the Cider yeast i wanted to put in a Campden tablet but i remembered i hadn't got any but i did have a quantity of Metabisulphite.
Did a google search to find out how much was needed to kill any unwanted bacteria and read for one to five gallons i would need one teaspoon.
I did what i read i should use and left the juice which now is in a demijohn for two days, after that time i tossed the cider yeast.
After several days i checked on the juice to see if the yeast had started its work converting sugar to alcohol, nothing it was as flat as a witches Chest.
This wasn't my only attempt to get things started i even tried bread making yeast but still no joy.
After a week or so i had a brain wave i thought i would heat the juice up in a large caldron hoping this would render the Metabisulphite harmless, but again another try with Cider yeast was to no avail..
Does anyone have any ideas what i can do with the juice that is now sitting in a demijohn outside under my kitchen window apart from drinking it.
Can we keep it clean folks...

You could try making a starter with some sparkling wine yeast (EC1118), let it start foaming and pitch it in. That'll get most things going when stuck so if that doesn't work I don't think it's going to ferment.

Back