Mexican Cerveza with Wheat spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I ordered a can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza and was going to brew with spray malt but my supplier sent wheat spray malt.
Will this work? Will it taste good or should I send it back?

Thanks in advance.

what percentage of the spraymalt is wheat? does it say on the pack? im sure wheat is meant to aid the head on your beer, personally I would give it a try, you would be better with extra light spraymalt but its 6 and half a dozen. try brewing it short to 19/20 litres. I've brewed close to 20/25 kits, the general rule of thumb is keep everything clean, bung it in, and it will taste good.
have you brewed many kits before mate?

Thanks for that.
The bag says 55% malting wheat and 45% malting barley.
I've done a few...all Cooper kits...mostly with brewing sugar...and although they've been fine I've been led to believe that using spray malt adds body and taste to the brew - but as I say the wheat spray malt was sent by mistake. I'm tempted to go ahead with it unless someone tells me DEFINITELY not to - so you reckon it'll be OK?

yeah i would go for it. is it 500 grams you have? you could add another 500 grams sugar or you could experiment a bit, maybe try it with some honey or golden syrup or something. wheat beers are traditionally a bit cloudy so im not sure if this will make it a bit hazy or cloudy to be honest.try emailing the supplier saying they sent wheat spraymalt instead of normal spraymalt, chance your arm and see if they will send you a pack free of charge!

Already tried that - still waiting to see what the supplier says.

I have 2 x 500g bags.

I'm afraid to use honey - I recently did an Aussi lager with 1200g of orange blossom honey instead of sugar (my most experimental brew yet) and it was a disaster - the brew SEEMED ok until I tasted it....a lovely beer with an AWFUL aftertaste - the aftertaste reminded me of when I put aftershave on then accidentally taste it off my lips!
But I trust your experience - I'll just go ahead and make it with the wheat spraymalt.
Cheers.

Back