Milestone Donner & Blitzed Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is definitely going to be my Christmas brew this year!

Which one is the better kit out the two?

cheers
Haven't done the donner & blitzed but done dasher the flasher twice and it's my joint favourite along with dark galleon.

I started this brew around the end of October last year. As far as I can tell everything went well and it was bottled and left ready for Christmas.
I'm still battling through the last few bottles as I can't bear to let it go to waste, but sadly I have not enjoyed it. Once poured it has a lovely dark oak colour with an off white head. It has a lovely smell, but then comes the taste. I shall chalk that one up to experience but I won't be doing it again.

Fermented down to 6.5%, left for three weeks in the barrel and bottled today. Split between small bottles (ideal as Christmas gifts) and swing-tops. Smells good and tastes great. Will be perfect in 7 weeks time.

This was the second kit brew I did, as a Christmas keg for the family. The brewing went well, with no problems, resulting in a round 4.0% abv, which suited me just fine. I have to say, I was not a fan of the final product... It was just too sweet and syrupy for my palate. About half the barrel went down the drain, although I have hopes that the bottles (I always tend to brew half and half) continuing to condition may improve things somewhat.

All in all, not a great experience, and I will look carefully in future at brewing gimmicky seasonal beers as a consequence.

Bit of an update, as I have had a bottle just last night, to see if it improves with age... And YES, it was a much better pint all round, having lost some of the gimmicky sweetness. It still smells like a Christmas pudding (I guess as a Yule beer it has to), but it was a much more pleasant pint after four months of conditioning.

I still wouldn't say it is my favourite brew, and I'm not sure I would make it again, but it has encouraged me to make another Milestone beer this year (Black Pearl), but I thought it only fair to say that this beer definitely improves with a bit of aging.

Latest posts

Back