Milestone Donner & Blitzed Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
equiliser said:
Hi mate

Did this one last year and did a video on my channel

Milestone - Donner and Blitzed
http://youtu.be/9jfm-O78Ees

It was a really nice beer but needed to mature for 2 month as it defo got better with age

I also did Milestone - Dasher the Flasher
http://youtu.be/LbkJdHLMaBg

Good luck
Which would you say was the best out of the 2?

Sorry if you posted on the tube vid, just can't watch them at the mo...

hi all i have put this kit in today with a bag of dark spray malt, kit was standard procedure for most 3kg two tin kits tho the instructions tell you to pitch the yeast straight in dry which i did.Then i noticed on the yeast sachet it tells you to make a starter bottle which i didnt, it also does not state how much water to boil in a pan like all other kits similar to this one it usually states to boil 6pints of waterso that is what i did.Am going to brew the kit to 36pints instead of the 40 pints for a bit more welly in the abv and added the extra malt for more depth and body\flavour as well as a bit more strength.i do intend after 1 week to syphon the beer into another fv to drop clear then keg and prime after a further week i am told that this gives a cleaner beer with less of a yeasty taste and this is the first kit i shall do in this way so will keep you posted.

well its beginning to bubble but very slowly so have raised it off the ground by about a foot on a stool to see if that helps i think it may be due to being a little bit cold for it so lets see what happens.

Beer is good, beer is good, beer is good, lets go brew some beeeeeeerr!!

Well done on the videos, watched these some time ago, didnt realise you were on the forum though! Id quite like to try this kit, but I wont need to order anything for quite a long time. At least we get to see you enjoy it though :thumb:

This is only a suggestion, however, why not top up to 40 pints and add 1/2 kg of caster sugar. This 1/2kg will raise 40 pints by approx 1.5% :thumb: . Also, doing this will do no harm to your brew. There are those that will tell you that it will, however, in MY experience it won't.
Also, I see no point in brewing anything less than the max. I can possibly squeeze into the fermenter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To this end I now possess 2 x 6 gallon (+ 2 x 5 gallon) fermenters.
I recently brewed Woodfordes' Headcracker ( they recommend 24 pints) to 50 pints to achieve 52.5 x 500ml bottles.......I added DME and caster sugar to get 1080 SG. ABV finished at 8.8%
:cheers:

happy days mate,i brewed woodfordes headcracker years ago i did it in two seperate fermenters then syphoned it into one barrel to store\drink.Was strong standard, but was a nice pint it also if my mind serves me right it is brewed short to 24 pints on 3kg of malt so it would be formulated for this purpous i often wondered what it would be like to tweek it a bit.This kit is the first one ive played around with so i thought i would keep it simple to start with but will bare your tip in mind for the next kit i make :cheers:

B-A-P....... :cheers:
PS No noticeable loss of body stretched like this. :thumb:

well i have racked off into another fermenter and got the usual complimentary taster from the syphon tube and gotta say tasted mighty nice.going to leave it now in secondary till next monday night when i shall keg it and prime it ready for xmas happy days :cheers:

:( sadly been in the keg since the 17th dec and still not clearing even tho had a week in secondry before kegging also got a slight whiff to it hope it hasnt gone bad on me.Note to self i dont think i will be messing with kits ie tweeking them again and secondry is not something i shall bother with again as had years of success without it and always been satisfied with the end product.But hey we have to try these things and i now realise sticking to the path i know is best as they say better the devil you know i suppose.

took another look at the brew and has now 98 percent cleared and taste is ok on my second pint and has turned out fairly strong so almost happy with it be interesting to see how it tastes towards the bottom of the barrel

well the barrel is empty and gotta say i will do this again but, stick to the original recipe and not tweek it and will leave it longer to mature properly for at least a month or two (hmm need to get third keg into operation) :cheers:

Got this kit the other day. FV is now empty so this will be going in. I'm going to stick to the standard ingredients only as when this was on a Wetherspoons it was absolutely gorgeous.

The HBS owner said the kit tastes better than the draught. Will let you all know if this rings true.

This is definitely going to be my Christmas brew this year!

Which one is the better kit out the two?

cheers

53rd brew Milestones Donner and Blitzed. 24th sept 2014. Og 1044/46, pitched at 24 degrees. Taste at brew rich malty with strong hints of bitterness. Smooth though even at this stage and a bit like cold coffee!

03/10/14 gravity testing and now is 1012. Taste at this stage, like home brew with a sour taste but with deep strong alcohol taste smell malty. I think this will improve with age as it isn't as bitter as it was. Racked 03/10/14 - bottled 6/10/14 gravity still at 1012.

Taste at bottling, nice warm rich and alcoholic but without the subtleties of flavour I know this will have once left for a while. I am looking forward to this one at Christmas.

Started this one on 1st October. OG 1044

Temp has been around 20' but went away for a few days and it's dropped to 17' in my absence.

Checked gravity - now at 1018. Still got bubbles on the surface

Put the heater on and it's back up to 20'. I've given it a gentle stir. I'll give it another week before I test it again. Taste from the test-tube was ok, but a bit weak. Fingers crossed it'll be ok. I need it for Christmas :pray:

This kit has been reliable for me, though I've never had it come down to the 1.009 listed (1.012 is the lowest it's ever done). Previously I've barrelled it, but this time I tweaked it a little (added some molasses sugar) and bottled it last weekend. It's been in the house for secondary fermentation, and at least with some in plastic bottles I can tell that's come on nicely. I printed out labels for it this afternoon, so have those to stick on now, before tucking them on a shelf in the garage and try to forget about them for a month or two :)

Bottled this brew last weekend. Everything ran on rails. Left it in the FV for 2 weeks and got a final reading of 1.012
Its been sitting in a warmish room since bottling and has already cleared completely. Looking forward to trying it a Christmas.

Back