Mini keg CO2 question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilesw

Reaction score
I’ve never used a keg before - always bottled my brews, but I’ve just bought 2 20l Triple J mini keg/growlers. I got a dispenser with it - photo attached.

It didn’t come with any instructions, so I’ve looked at a couple of videos that suggested that the pressure should be around 10psi.

I wanted to test it with some water before my beer finishes fermenting, so put it all together and half filled the keg with water. I adjusted the regulator until the pressure hit 10, however when try pulling the tap, the gas escapes but no liquid. I’m probably doing something obviously wrong. I’ve gone through 3 of the 16g canisters so far trying this…

Any tips gratefully received!

8D3338E6-A8C1-4236-BD3C-E09A86F1121C.jpeg

Hi Richard - in the original message I said 2 X 20l kegs, which is completely wrong. The kegs are 10l each. I filled it about half way with water. The dip tube is about the length of the keg, so nearly rests on the bottom. I’m pretty sure the end is in the water.

Thanks!

Stupid question I know? have you changed the connectors around? The beer tap will need to be connected to the middle post and gas off to the side.

Yes, that’s how I’ve got it. Beer tap is in the middle, pressure release valve is on one side and gas the other.

Could it be that there’s not enough gas in one of those canisters for that volume of space?

I tried it once where I got the pressure up to around 10psi before closing the regulator and opening the tap, and once where I left the regulator open and opened the tap, but either way, whenever I pull the tap, there’s a rush of gas an the canister empties.

I've basically got the same setup (not John guest disconnects but hard wired) and never had this problem. Like Richardm said above, are you sure that your down pipe is at the bottom of the keg? Sounds like it's curved and is pulling head space rather than beer. Or is the down pipe screwed in enough to the main beer post?

If that tube is quite soft it can easily float up and be above the liquid level.
Try filling the keg nearly full.
Look out for an adapter that allows you to put a sodastream cylinder onto the regulator. Although Sodastream gas is expensive it's a lot cheaper than the little bulbs.

I think you might be right. I think the tube had air in it so was floating to the top. I’ve filled the keg to the top and it’s working perfectly! Hope it works ok as the liquid drops. I’ve got a Sodastream and did hear there might be some sort of adaptor for those canisters. Not sure how that would work with the weight of the bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

You can connect the sodastream using the adapter and a tube.
Bear in mind it's likely your next posts are likely to be I've filled my keg and I'm just pouring foam.
That's not a flow control tap and there's no tube.
10psi beer at 6 celsius would need a 1.5 metre tube to pour an imperial pint in 15seconds with a 0.5 metre height difference of tap to mid keg. That's 4mm internal tube.
Play with this calculator
https://www.brewingcalculators.com/beer-line-length/
Try it with a 1/4 inch internal tube and you'll be amazed how much tube you will need!!

Ah ok, so I’m going to need a 1.5m long 4mm dip tube curled up in there? Is that right? Or does the 1.5m have to be from the keg to the tap?

If you're just dispensing from a mini keg (I've got the same tap) never had many problems with foaming if you just reduce the serving pressure to about 6/8 psi.

If you're just dispensing from a mini keg (I've got the same tap) never had many problems with foaming if you just reduce the serving pressure to about 6/8 psi.
Great, thanks. Will see how I get on and look at a pipe if it’s foaming. I assume I’d just need a pipe and 2 male/female John guest fittings?

If the above picture is what you have I wouldn't worry. If it does start foaming, just reduce you're serving pressure slightly

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tube and fittings that will allow me to connect my female mini thread CO2 regulator to a Sodastream bottle? I’ve seen Sodastream regulators and adapters to connect a Sodastream bottle directly to the existing regulator, but ideally I’d like to connect the gas bottle via a pipe so it’s not hanging off the side of the keg.

Latest posts

Back