Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, apologies, sure there are a whole load of questions/threads on kegging advice.
Have recently got my first keg and now have a hundred questions whirling round. I'm sure it's a case of use it and learn as you go, but would welcome any pointers before I begin..

1). Is there a definitive 'Intro to Corny Kegs' thread or guide online anywhere?

2). I have an idea in my head that priming with sugar for a secondary fermentation will produce a better beer than carbonating alone in keg. Any truth to this? I don't have a secondary fermenting vessel at the moment so would be priming in the keg and writing off the first few pints.

3). I'd plan to carbonate over a period of time instead of force carbonating quickly by chucking the keg around. Perceived wisdom would seem to be set the regulator and forget about it, maybe a week or so. Is there a way to know how long to leave it or just sample till it's done? Can you overcarb in this way or will the cannister and keg reach a level of 'equilibrium'? Excuse ignorance if I've got this completely wrong.

I'll be using something like the jollygoodbeer table to check what pressure I'm setting on the regulator.

Ta again,
Dan

). I'd plan to carbonate over a period of time instead of force carbonating quickly by chucking the keg around. Perceived wisdom would seem to be set the regulator and forget about it, maybe a week or so. Is there a way to know how long to leave it or just sample till it's done? Can you overcarb in this way or will the cannister and keg reach a level of 'equilibrium'? Excuse ignorance if I've got this completely wrong.
This is both the easiest and best (in my opinion!) method. Leave the keg in the fridge with gas connected and set at correct pressure, normally around 12-20psi depending on temp and beer style, you arent going to risk overcarbing.

Method 1 I havent tried as not sure the beer will really be any better and you will have a lot more trub in the bottom. Any time you move the keg its going to mix in with the beer again and need time to settle out.

Method 2 I dont use because I always have beer ready to drink and I find all beers benefit from at least 2 weeks conditioning in the keg, by which time it is fully carbed.

1. Look up craigtube he has a old but very good series on kegging.

2. Think this is subjective, carbonating naturally during pressure fermentation is supposed to be better than using priming sugar, but not always an option. Carbonating under co2 works well for most.

3.yes you can over carb , but releasing the pressure and allowing it to stabilise will correct that. Yes force carb over a week is supposed to be better than the quick methods.

Thanks both, and once you have, for example, carbed for a week, do you then leave the gas on while you get through the keg? Possibly at a lower PSI?
Will give the craigtube vids a watch this eve, just found them, thanks Rwilts.

In the case of carbing over a week or so as discussed above, you're simply transferring from the primary FV, sealing up the keg and attaching to CO2 at the desired pressure, eg 12-20 psi?

Once you have reached the desired co2 levels then you are supposed to leave the keg under a lower serving pressure - if you don't pouring will get harder/slower and the level of carbonation will drop as the co2 leaves the beer. HOWEVER make sure you don't have any leaks of you will quickly loose all your gas! Personally i disconnect when not pouring.

When you transfer to the keg purge the headspace after filling by using a quick blast of CO2 from the cylinder and vent via the pressure release valve, 3 times is plenty - it will just flush the headspace of air and hopefully mean your beer will remain fresher longer.

2). I have an idea in my head that priming with sugar for a secondary fermentation will produce a better beer than carbonating alone in keg. Any truth to this? I don't have a secondary fermenting vessel at the moment so would be priming in the keg and writing off the first few pints.
You can carbonate beer by just priming the keg with sugar, I doubt it makes much odds flavour wise I mostly do it this way as I just use a soda stream cylinder as a CO2 source so force carbing would be quite expensive if you have a full size cylinder this isn’t really an issue.

As for chucking out the first couple of pints it’s closer to the first 2-300ml might have a little sediment certainly not multiple pints.

Well I’m now happily sampling the first brew I kegged in the corny. Serving pressure needs a little work but otherwise great!!

What’s the best way to keep the beer carbed? Do I need to keep pressure on it or will it hold carbonation to a point if I leave it uncoupled from gas?

Not expecting it to last forever but I’d expect to take a few weeks to go through a keg on average…
3D136959-3685-4B2B-BD13-F1A1F5743C42.jpeg

Hey, yes the beer will keep carbonation, though make sure you keep topping up with gas to serve - otherwise you'll just get flatter beer as you serve if you don't keep adding some - I add at about 5psi for serving. I don't leave connected to gas the rest of the time as I'm fearful of leaks!

I don't know what people have against burst carbing (fast) against set and forget - I bet you if you slow vs fast carbed some water to the same pressure, you wouldn't taste the difference. Burst carbing means I can drink beer the same day that I keg it - if you are going to force carb, why wait?

I keep meaning to naturally prime my beers to save on gas, but I'm usually eager to sample it.

Hey, yes the beer will keep carbonation, though make sure you keep topping up with gas to serve - otherwise you'll just get flatter beer as you serve if you don't keep adding some - I add at about 5psi for serving. I don't leave connected to gas the rest of the time as I'm fearful of leaks!

I don't know what people have against burst carbing (fast) against set and forget - I bet you if you slow vs fast carbed some water to the same pressure, you wouldn't taste the difference. Burst carbing means I can drink beer the same day that I keg it - if you are going to force carb, why wait?

I keep meaning to naturally prime my beers to save on gas, but I'm usually eager to sample it.
Cheers. Like you, I in fact ended up carbing this quickly as I wasn’t convinced I didn’t have a leak..

Results were very good, not sure quite what horror i was so terrified of 🤣🤣

5 psi seems to be working for me as a serving pressure. Hook up, pour, disconnect, repeat. Happy drinking!

I don't know what people have against burst carbing (fast) against set and forget - I bet you if you slow vs fast carbed some water to the same pressure
For me it is 'the same pressure' that is the issue, I have never been able to get it right with burst carbing and used to end up going over. I have 2 taps so I just drink the other beer while I wait for the new one to carb, which is generally fine after a week 👍

I'm the opposite. I dont get why not use set and forget. I guess it depends on style, but the beer clears more in the 2 weeks it is carbing up with set and forget. Also, I can never understand why people want to be fiddling with turning gas on, off, changing pressure. I only touch my regulator and gas bottle when changing the bottle (ever 6 to 9 months or so). Of course, I know it is all personal preference.

I use force carbing method for the empty gas cylinder issue as gas can find a leak very easily especially if you move the gas line by moving kegs around.
Re overcarbing just release some pressure and it will find a pressure that is suitable to serving for most types of beer.
If you want to be more critical on pressure just force carb then remove from the gas and add a spunding valve set to serving pressure that will get you to the exact pressure you want

Latest posts

Back