Monday Night 10L SMASH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all.

As I've got grain in the house for a change I couldn't resist. It might turn into a late night but what the hell.

I'm going for a simple 10L SMASH today with some Chinook I picked up a couple of weeks ago. (just as well I checked the AA before I chucked anything in as I initially read it as 4.6 not 14.6!)

2kg Maris Otter

5g Chinook @60 mins
10g Chinook @15 mins
1/2 whirlfloc tab @15 mins

As I'm no chilling im going to have a go at MyQul's trick of taking 3L of the cooled wort and boiling the 15min hops in that tomorrow, then cooling and adding back to the rest of the wort before pitching. All of my no chills have turned out pretty good but they're definitely lacking in aroma so hopefully this might go some way to solving the problem.

It's mashing away at 67°C now so I'm hoping to be boiled and cleared up by 11. Optimistic I think!

So I made a bit of a blunder this morning. I boiled the hops in about 3L of wort, and rehydrated my S04. It cooled pretty quickly in the sink and I then added it back to the rest of the wort. After I'd poured in about half of the yeast I realised a hadn't aerated it! :doh: I gave it a good whip with my brewing spoon before adding the rest of the yeast.

I also managed to get a little bit of Starsan from the airlock into the wort. Don't aske me how cause I don't know. It wasn't much though so I'm hoping it'll be alright. There's about an inch of Krausen there now and the airlock is bubbling nicely so we'll see what we've got in a couple of weeks.

Your beer will come our GREAT, don't worry. :thumb:
In fact, when I brewed my first batch, I didn't even know I was supposed to aerate the wort -> I got a lovely beer anyway!
By the way, niche choice of a SMASH hehe, here's mine:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOznAnZRM[/ame]
Cheers!:smile:

Funnily enough, it's turned out to be one of the most vigorous fermentations I've had for a long time. I thought I was going to have to add a blowoff tube yesterday.

Doesn't sound like a too much of a disaster.

I just yesterday made a fairly similar recipe, but with 5% torrified wheat and 2.5% caramalt, otherwise almost the same chinook additions. So it will be interesting to hear the results.

I've had a few bottles of this one over the weekend, and, if I may say so myself, it's the of the best beers I've made.

There's not too much in the way of aroma, but the flavour from the chinook is very nice. I'll definitely be making this one again.

Back