Muslin....driving us nuts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
Muslin bags for straining wine... great idea at one time, still do the job, but in this day and age surely someone has come up with something a little...well...faster : ...it's driving us nuts :roll:
So is there an alternative I don't know of to the funnel and muslin/bucket and muslin, if so please let me know.
As a born tinkerer thoughts are afoot to use a tractor funnel with a large sieve , possibly lined with muslin, that should increase the surface area no end. Alternatively, would anyone have any idea what sort of aperture to shoot for when thinking stainless mesh...it's be easier to sanitise and last for ever.

Lakeland do a jam straining kit, nylon bag rather than muslin, nice frame to hang it from, but it's no faster. Maybe subbing a different weave of nylon would speed it up.

Fruit press?

Thanks o :thumb: We have a small fruit press...thinking using it as a holder for a bag. That Lakeland jobby seems to be available in various guises...food for thought :hmm:

SWMBO had a bright idea which we have yet to try out - you can get those big hoops for holding fabric tight while doing needlework. If you were to put a large sheet of voile or muslin or whatever into one of those, push it down to form a loose bag and then clip it tight it should work. Aiming to get one to fit over my FV.

Similar idea A, that's why I was thinking the large tractor funnel as they'd be ideal to just put in the spout of the DJ...using a bucket instead of a DJ as a fv would save all this agro and you could use the tap to rack instead of syphoning....another pet hate of mine :x

Screen printing mesh is available quite cheaply on that famous auction site, that would be much cheaper than stainless mesh. You can also use hot glue to good effect to bind it to a variety of surfaces.
I've a big roll of stainless mesh and used some to retro fit over the false bottom of my boiler to enable me to use hop pellets.
I can dig it out and give you the details tonight if you like? In fact, I have that much of it left that you would be welcome to a couple of pieces if you decide to go down the tractor funnel route.
The only downside to the wire mesh is the sharpness of the edge when cut and it can fray a bit at the edges if you can't secure it in some way.

Muslin is fine but after many years it decays, but so does nylon. Get yourself a brand new bag, as recommended by James Brown and a classic PG Tips advert.

I use graded bags. Start off with a big net bag, about 5mm mesh, which removes the chunky stuff. Then it goes through a paint straining bag (v. cheap off ebay) and lastly (if needed) a jam bag, which has the finest mesh. I too got fed up with the agony of drip-drip-drip, and the vigilance needed to keep fruit flies away!

I think the large net bag was an onion bag or somesuch. It just lines a bucket. Pour in the pulp, lift up the bag and hold or suspend it. Squeeze as appropriate then compost the pulp (or freeze for re-use). Then repeat with the paint strainer, which I stretch over the bucket and secure with a bungee cord.

Works a treat!

Bio diesel production uses nylon filter bags to clean up the raw used cooking oil, which come in various sizes and are designed to fit inside conicals ;)

Freely available on eBay in a variety of filter mesh sizes

Latest posts

Back