My first bottle was opened

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lehmann

Reaction score
Hi all

Yesterday I tried my first Irish Stout from MYO brand, let me tell what I have in it.

It's a fraction recipe, made in a 5 liter bucket, I tried to do all the math to keep all proportion, here are the steps I passed.

I followed the instruction from the box, even knowing the 2+2+2 rule.

-Started with SG near 1.037
- 6 days later Gravity is 1.007, added hops.
- 3 days later gravity is 1.006, bottled with half tea soon of sugar. Put in the warm place to carbonation.
- 7 days later moved to the fridge at 2 deg C.
- 4 day later after visible sediments I opened it!!

My impressions:
It opened as a champagne bottle, I got really excited with it. :-)

When pouring in the glass didn't see too many gas anymore, so I put the glass back vertical to create some foam. Got only 3mm ich on foam, it frustrated me :-(

I took a sample and FG is 1.006, didn't taste and smell alcohol, this was good :-)

Looking it, I still could the yeast at the end of the liquid that I had put in other glass. Should be like that?

The taste was really strong and bitter, and leaving bitter taste in the mouth, after some sips got used to strong taste and was fine, my wife gave a 7 grade (and she doesn't like strong beer), for me a 5 once there was no foam and bitter taste

What part part of the process should improve?

Tks all in advance

Prost

Lehmann

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back