My first brewday (kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

operon

Reaction score
Finally got to start brewing today instead of just reading everyone elses brew days and experiences. Using the kit my wife bought for me Christmas I finally got started. The kit came with a Coopers Canadian Blonde and a 1kg of brewing sugar. After sterilising everything I made thekit up to 23 litres. Thought it better to play it by the book the first time to get a baseline. Opening gravity came out at 1036 if I read the hydrometer correctly. Its in a spare at the moment, seemed a good idea to carry a full fermenter up the stottling airs but managed ok. So looking forward to bottling this in about 14 days

Sounds good, I'm a week in to brewing the same kit its amazing the change in the FV in just a week.

Rob_C said:
Sounds good, I'm a week in to brewing the same kit its amazing the change in the FV in just a week.
Aye, mines being going a few days now and the colour change in the fermenter is huge. the sound from the air lock is heavenly and its proving hard to not check on it more than three times daily

operon said:
Rob_C said:
Aye, mines being going a few days now and the colour change in the fermenter is huge. the sound from the air lock is heavenly and its proving hard to not check on it more than three times daily

I'm with you there! My airlock has got quiet now, going to be bottling at the start of next week.

I had a little taste when a took a gravity reading a few days ago - it tasted quite unrefined, hopefully this will improve as it progresses.

operon said:
Opening gravity came out at 1036 if I read the hydrometer correctly.

What temperature was the wort? If it was over 20. C you will need to correct the figure. I once stopped sparging when on checking the gravity it was dangerously close to 1.008. I didn't realise that as the sample was in the 60's on correction it was nearer 1.020 :shock:

Back