My first ever home cider brewing - help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brubaker

Reaction score
So I've now watched countless videos most of which suggest completely opposing ways of making cider so I'm really confused. Ideally I'd like to make sweet sparkling lowish (4.5%) cider but apparently that's quite tough. The actual apple collecting and picking is next Saturday and that's when we intend to pulp and press the apples. I've bought most of the key components and I'm using bulldog sweet yeast.

So some people sterilise the equipment before hand some don't. Some people just put the apple juice with the yeast and don't put a cover on it for primarily fermentation - some put the lid on. Some don't do secondary fermentation at all some do. Its crazy:)

Could someone give me a step by step guide or point me to a solid video that actually works. Any help really appreciated. If I have to I'd prefer still sweet cider to dry sparkling if that helps at all.

Hi I more or less followed this vid last year. I made 2 batches, one with Camden tablet, and one without. Both turned out good.This year I'll use a few apple varieties(used single type last year from my tree). Hope this helps , make sure your equipment is sanitised and you'll be good to go, however the cider improves over a period of months rather than weeks.

Thanks Davie. This is one of the series I watched. I wonder if I follow this method, but then put sugar in it, leave it for 4 days then pasteurise the bottles would that work?

Drive to Asda. Buy 25 litres of smart price juice. Drive to Wilko,buy yeast nutrient. Drive home,boil kettle,make half litre of 6 teabag black tea. Bung the lot ( only 1tsp nutrient) into fv,add yeast
Open beer...relax.

Thanks Davie. This is one of the series I watched. I wonder if I follow this method, but then put sugar in it, leave it for 4 days then pasteurise the bottles would that work?
Hi, after its fermented to around 1000 on hydrometer I racked it to demijohns,left it alone until it cleared then primed each 500ml bottle with 5g sugar. I forgot the pectolaise in the first batch and it took 4months over winter to clear(although the taste improved a lot in this time).The second batch with pectolaise cleared in a few weeks, this second batch didnt have any campden tabs and no problems with any nasties in either batch and I even found a fly in the over winter batch because I inadvertently knocked the airlock out at some time while it was being stored. Wear some gloves when pulping the apples, my hands were in bits after a few hours pulping and pressing.

Well none of my apples are ready to eat yet. So unless it's a very early variety. Taste them. If they're hard and sour then they're not ready. I make mine end of September, beginning of October.
Thanks very much An. I suspect there are not ready yet so we will put off the picking for another 3 weeks.

Thanks DavieC. I'm thinking of standard brewing with the addition of the camden tablet. Then secondary into demijohns. At the end I'll put the sugar into the final bottles and pasturise after 4 days and hope for the best.

I have the same issue. Loads of recipes and tutorials, all different.
I have a very simple recipe which I’ve followed but found my first batch looks a bit suspicious.
I mashed and pressed 15 litres of juice. Added yeast but no campden tablet. It fermented really well and looks to have stopped. But looks very clear and watery. Don’t want to chuck it though. Have asked about back sweetening with fruit syrup but not sure on the quantities to add to the 1 litre bottles. It’s still in the shed.

Second batch much better more variety of apples and juice tastes great. I’ve done three 5 litre bottles. All with one Campden tab in each. I’ve added honey to one, brown sugar to one and vimpto cordial to the third. Half pack of yeast in each.
Just waiting for initial fermentation to start on these.

Latest posts

Back