MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a really nice bitter, it's similar to my bitter, I aim for IBUs in the mid 30s but you've got a tonne of late first gold compared to mine, in 15L I used 10g at 10 mins and 15g at 0 mins. Do you get much of the orange flavour from the first gold?

As mentioned there's no esters from the yeast so I bunged in loads of hops (for a bitter) . I havent used FG for years. I picked up a pack that was on offer when I bought a new sack of grain a couple of months ago

The only thing I would do different would be that I would dry hop it (and/or add a hop tea) if you use notty (but I suspect any yeast, because of the amylase). Because notty is so flocculant (and the amylase will in effect make any yeast effectively so) it has been noted it can 'drag' some of the flavour out of the hopping. Dry hopping should replace it.*
Well it went down well at new year but as you suggested I reckon a bit of dry hopping would lift it a bit (not that those who got it as a freebie noticed)
Highly recommended for anyone wanting to make a pseudo lager.

Glad you enjoyed it
Everyone did. Cleared perfectly and the keg survived a drive round the highlands to our final destination.
Even better, I was asked about a familiar taste someone detected so was delighted to fill them in on the mystery ingredient!

Everyone did. Cleared perfectly and the keg survived a drive round the highlands to our final destination.
Even better, I was asked about a familiar taste someone detected so was delighted to fill them in on the mystery ingredient!

Yes, this brew really well, perfectly clear almost like it's been filtered. So much so you don't even get chill haze (like I normally do)

Mash is on for this today. It's based on Ringwood XXXX Brown porter from BYOBRA. But I had some grains I wanted to use up (the smoked malt and caramunich) so I subbed out some of the grain from the original recipe. Also I didnt have the hops from GW's original recipe so just used what I had and just kept the bitterness ratio (which works out to be about 0.6)

Iron Bruise - Brown Porter 12L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.13 %
Colour (SRM): 18.1 (EBC): 35.6
Bitterness (IBU): 25.1 (Average)

1.6kg Pale Ale Malt
372g Smoked Malt
200g Flaked Barley
100g Caramunich I
100gChocolate
100g Crystal 60

7.5 Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
8g Challenger (8.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with CML Beoir yeast (I took a bit of slurry from a jar full I have in the fridge and made up a 600ml real wort starter)

Last edited:
Good luck with this - I'm currently planning a couple of porters myself, similar brew size and strength actually...

I found a recipe for Fuller's London Porter, and a different generic English porter by Josh Weikert on beerandbrewing.com - I was originally thinking of a hybrid but decided in the end I'll do both and compare, except I'm gonna sub out the EKG for Northdown...

I recently finished the last of the GH Porter I brewed last year and compared it with a bottle of Fuller's - it's actually pretty close and still maybe my best brew to date, but the real Fuller's is superb :beer1:

Good luck with this - I'm currently planning a couple of porters myself, similar brew size and strength actually...

I found a recipe for Fuller's London Porter, and a different generic English porter by Josh Weikert on beerandbrewing.com - I was originally thinking of a hybrid but decided in the end I'll do both and compare, except I'm gonna sub out the EKG for Northdown...

I recently finished the last of the GH Porter I brewed last year and compared it with a bottle of Fuller's - it's actually pretty close and still maybe my best brew to date, but the real Fuller's is superb :beer1:

One f my first AG brews was the Fullers London porter from GH's BYOBRA. I seem to remember It actually tasted very similar FLP despite not using the Fullers yeast (cant remember what I used, probably notty)

Ah, JFYI, here's the thread I found with the FLP recipe:
https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1811

They cite The Real Ale Almanac recipe as being pretty accurate. I can't vouch for this but it's not a million miles away from the GH one which in turn tasted pretty close to the real thing to me - main difference was less body, but I brewed it about 0.5% weaker. And also I'm not a professional brewery with a long tradition of making this beer ;)

Currently got this mash on

Blonde Brut(e)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.027 (°P): 6.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.000 (°P): 0.0
Alcohol (ABV): 3.54 %
Colour (SRM): 2.3 (EBC): 4.6
Bitterness (IBU): 15.3 (Average)

2.3kg Pale Malt
1kg Flaked Rice (cheapo rice crispies from ASDA)

3g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
40g Challenger (7.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Challenger (7.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
30g East Kent Golding (5.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at whatever my kitchen floor happens to be (around 22C at the mo) with Nottingham yeast

Racked to secondary and 1 tsp Amylase enzyme added
That's an interesting recipe. Keeping the grain bill as it is, why not swap out the entire hopping regime for Saaz and use one of the Saflager yeasts? My choice would be w-34/70, and do away with the amylase.

That's an interesting recipe. Keeping the grain bill as it is, why not swap out the entire hopping regime for Saaz and use one of the Saflager yeasts? My choice would be w-34/70, and do away with the amylase.

I agree that I could have swapped out the hops for saaz. I just used what I had. I've read (on the massive warm fermented lager thread on HBT) that W-34/70 is not that flocculant when fermented at ale temps and needs to be lagered/cold crashed to get it to settle out. So defeating the purpose of warm fermenting with it

I agree that I could have swapped out the hops for saaz. I just used what I had. I've read (on the massive warm fermented lager thread on HBT) that W-34/70 is not that flocculant when fermented at ale temps and needs to be lagered/cold crashed to get it to settle out. So defeating the purpose of warm fermenting with it
No criticism of your recipe intended, in fact I think I've got the threads mixed up somewhere: I thought I was adding to your response to somebody who wanted to make an ale that was similar to lager, but I can't find the thread.
As for W-34/70, I use it quite a lot and haven't had any clarity problems since I bottle. But the reason I started using it is because it'll ferment at temperatures in the high 20s without spoiling the beer. Now we've got kveik, of course, things are much easier.

Making this today. I usually put flaked barley in my bitters but I wasnt sure whether Holland & Barrett will be open today so have left it out

Lock Down or Lock In (Standard/Ordinary Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 3.78 %
Colour (SRM): 8.6 (EBC): 16.9
Bitterness (IBU): 23.9 (Average)

1.8kg Pale Ale Malt
200g Crystal 60
200g Golden Syrup

10g First Gold (6.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
15g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
15g Styrian Golding (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
15g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
15 Styrian Golding (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 40 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 15c°C with CML Beoir yeast

Forgot to put the golden syrup in the boil so had to bung it into the FV about 12hours after pitching. I was wondering why my OG was light and it only came to me about 3am in the morning

Making this today. I usually put flaked barley in my bitters but I wasnt sure whether Holland & Barrett will be open today so have left it out

Lock Down or Lock In (Standard/Ordinary Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Alcohol (ABV): 3.78 %
Colour (SRM): 8.6 (EBC): 16.9
Bitterness (IBU): 23.9 (Average)

1.8kg Pale Ale Malt
200g Crystal 60
200g Golden Syrup

10g First Gold (6.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
15g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
15g Styrian Golding (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
15g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
15 Styrian Golding (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 40 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 15c°C with CML Beoir yeast

Cracked a first bottle of this open. EKG/Styrian Goldings combo is absolutely delicious in a bitter. I'm defiantely do this version of my house bitter again

Got the mash on for a fairly simple blonde ale today. I think this might be my first time using fuggles believe it or not. I really like EKG/Fuggles combo as they use this in Sambrooks (a London Micro) Wandle Ale

Plague & Pestilence Blonde Ale 10L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Alcohol (ABV): 4.19 %
Colour (SRM): 3.5 (EBC): 6.8
Bitterness (IBU): 20.8 (Average)

1.9kg Pale Malt
125g Flaked Barley

5g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
5g Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
16g East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
16g Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C (ish) with CML California Common yeast

Last edited:
Looks like a really traditional British beer but then you've gone for a US yeast. Would be interested to hear how this comes out, not a massive fan of fuggles hops personally but dont kind EKG

Looks like a really traditional British beer but then you've gone for a US yeast. Would be interested to hear how this comes out, not a massive fan of fuggles hops personally but dont kind EKG

Your right. If I had used a English ale yeast it would have been a Golden Ale instead of a Blonde ale. I really like CML Calicommon yeast. I was going to make a pseudo lager (Basically I would have just added some table sugar to dry it out a bit and mashed lower along with the Calicommon yeast). But fancied something with a bit more body

Looks like a really traditional British beer but then you've gone for a US yeast.

Well the point is more that it's a lager yeast than what's on the label. It may well be an "Australian" yeast - one would assume it's probably the same source as Mangrove Jack M54 Californian Lager, which is assumed to be Mauri 497.

Latest posts

Back