Nasty Pressure Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
So I grabbed my Pressure Barrel today to get it ready and the damn thing is mouldy in places, the tap I can replace cheaply enough but what's the best way to clean the barrel itself and kill any nasties lurking within?

How grimy is it? You might want to just replace it....

I'd try and clean it visually clean with a sponge (nothing abrasive) and hot water, then soak it with PBW or a similar cleaning product, maybe even overnight.

It's just a few spots, but with only a narrow neck I can't get my hand inside, I think it can be saved but advice on what solutions I could use to fully kill any bugs would be great.

oxyclean from poundland give it a good soaking for a day or two but beware its not a sanatiser,after the soaking do another with a weak bleach soloution for a day rinse out and it should be good to go,coopers recommend a bleach soloution

I have often used dried stuff such as split-peas and/or rice to act as a mild abrasive in places that I can't reach with my hands or a brush.

Swilling a handful of dried pulses/rice and a litre of water around (with as much energy as can be mustered) should knock off any spots of mould. After which I suggest that you:

o Empty out the pulses/rice and rinse the inside with plenty of water.

o Fill it to the brim with a strong solution of Tesco Thin Bleach (it's not scented) and leave it for 24 hours.

o Empty out the bleach solution, rinse three times with cold water, re-fill it and leave it for a second 24 hours.

By that time it will either be clean and smell free OR it will be time to go out and buy another one! :whistle:

PS

If there is enough of a gap to recover it, a small stainless steel scrubber can be used instead of the pulses/rice. Although not normally recommended, because it can scratch plastic surfaces, just swilling the scrubber around with some water shouldn't result in any scratches deep enough to hold bacteria. :thumb:

Back