Need advice on a Youngs wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzy

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a Youngs 7 day/6bottle Wine Buddy Kits and made the wine.. it was so easy to do and after a little taster, tasted good (now my bottles are maturing for a few weeks)

The Kit consists of:
2x plastic tubs/buckets and 1 lid (for fermenting )
1x syphoner
1x hydrometer
6x plastic bottle stoppers
Ingriediants & instructions

After the success of this batch i went and bought the Youngs Cabernat Savignon kit (makes 6 bottles & says it'll be ready in 3-4 weeks)

I read the instructions and it said it needs an air lock and also that when all the water is added it will just come above 5 litres ..

when I did my 1st batch an air lock wasnt needed I just had to leave the lid loosly on the tub when it was bubbling away.. as my kit says its 'reusable' i dont really want to go and buy MORE things and equipment..

1) could I do the same and leave the lid loosly covering the tub whilst fermenting??

2) My tub/buckets holds 5litres, would it make much difference using less water than the instructions say??

Your advice would be much appreciated

sarah x

1) You could do the same again with the loose lid although an air lock is preferable and they're really inexpensive. An air lock and a grommit to fit it to your lid will be under two quid.

2) A small reduction in water wont make much difference.

Good luck !

the idea of the airlock is. you can see it fermenting and to keep the oxygen out, i got 2 airlocks with the corks only £2.99 a pair.

i have got the young's 22litre red merlot wine, iam bottling it today at 10pm, only takes a day for the yeast to settle. this wine is 7 days too, i got the oak chips with this, it smells great at the moment, its supposed to be 10abv but i made it :D about 14abv, should be good.

robbierat.. how do you make the wine stronger??

Thanks to all that replied I am going to make a hole in my plastic lid and buy an airlock thingy later.. does the lid have to be firmly shut with that air lock in? :hmm:

sarah x

mozzy said:
I am going to make a hole in my plastic lid and buy an airlock thingy later.. does the lid have to be firmly shut with that air lock in?

You will need a grommit rather than a rubber bung to fit an airlock to your lid and once fitted and half filled wiith water the lid does get firmly shut.

Latest posts

Back