NEIPA overthinking?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m planning another NEIPA brew day in a couple of weeks, so have started getting the ingredients together, and giving the brew day process a bit of thought. I’ve done three NEIPA brews now and haven’t had any oxidation issues to date serving from a 5 gallon pressure barrel over 6-7 weeks. But was considering ways to minimise the risk.

I do closed transfer and flush my pressure barrel with fermentation gas beforehand, so my attention has turned to the fermentation stage. Currently, as others do, I load my dry hops in to the fermentation bucket/vessel when I pitch the yeast, so in theory there’s a risk of early oxidation of the hops while fermentation gets underway to flush the air from the headspace in the bucket. So, I thought ashock1 if I load the dry hops into their container a day or two before brew day and put them in the freezer, when I put the frozen dry hops in the bucket, the few hours it would take for them to thaw (while fermentation gets underway) could reduce oxidation risks even further.

Yes, probably overthinking it, but thought I’d see what others
think.
I've brewed a few NEIPA's and I've been pretty careful using a pressurized Brewzilla all-rounder with a hop-bong and end to end CO2 transfer and had good results so far, but after watching this video I don't think you can overthink your process or be too careful.

For NEIPA's we're talking 50 parts per Billion as dissolved oxygen as the threshold to oxidation damage.
That works out to be 0.45 milliliters of air (~20% O2) to 1000 liters of Beer, though I think we are talking about post fermentation so you should be ok while the beer is fermenting and producing CO2.

Are you sure of this.
1000l of beer is ~1000kg (not quite, but close enough for this)

1 litre of air contains 0.3g oxygen
0.45 ml of air contains 0.3g/0.45/1000 = 0.135mg

0.135mg in 1000kg is 0.135 ppb.

I may have made an error somewhere
Yeah, I was shocked too. :eek:
Watch the video, and the rest, he knows his stuff.

I managed to oxidise a neipia by not purging a half metre long CO2 line for my keg before connecting it upto the keg. Colour turned within a week, was drinkable for a couple of weeks before hop aroma and flavour completely disappeared, and was maybe drinkable for a week or so after that before I gave up on it and chucked it. Doesn't take alot. Be paranoid!

Back