New corny - metallic taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fresh from the Earth

Reaction score
Gave my new Chinese
keg a trial brew of extract ordinary bitter and it tastes metallic? Done a variant of this one before in bottles and it was fine.

Keg was full of engineering grease from factory so used hot water and soap and spinny carboy drill thing to clean with lots of rinsing.

Had the whole thing apart to clean (at least I think I did)

Noticed that inside of dip tube was black and could not get it off with beer line brush.

Makes me wonder about using the next new keg I have.

Whats going on?

Heard a lot of bad stories along these lines with the Chinese cornies. Cheaply made for speed and cash. All you can do is clean it again and again until stops tasting bad. I'd suggest 3/4 fill with harsh oxy clean mix for 12 hours turn it upside down and leave for another 12. Make sure you press the valves when it's upside down and it will fill the tubes. Oxy clean is a great cleaner of grease and nasties. Just make sure you rinse and wipe with your spinny thing after.

Heard a lot of bad stories along these lines with the Chinese cornies. Cheaply made for speed and cash. All you can do is clean it again and again until stops tasting bad. I'd suggest 3/4 fill with harsh oxy clean mix for 12 hours turn it upside down and leave for another 12. Make sure you press the valves when it's upside down and it will fill the tubes. Oxy clean is a great cleaner of grease and nasties. Just make sure you rinse and wipe with your spinny thing after.

If you have hard water, do not leave a solution of oxi in any vessel for an extended period time as it will produce a hard scale that is extremely difficult to remove.
I know this from experience and had to resort to using dilute phosphoric acid to remove it.

Very hard water on humberside, I know what you mean, but a 24 soaking is fine as long as you wipe it out and rinse it with hot water. Good point though. By the way where does the man in the street go to get phosphoric acid???

That is totally different to my experience. I left the keg overnight and it had a very hard scale deposit on it that could not be moved with rubbing.....you had to prise it off with fingernails:doh:

Phosphoric acid is fairly easy to get hold of - hydroponics shops are your best bet.

Back