New Forum Sponsor Cedaronics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frisp said:
The Pid PT100 marriage sems to be a difficult issue . I bought the wrong PID / thermocouple a while back. Im looking again am confused as hell. Anyone who can put a Pid/PT100/thermowell for pipeswork/ SSR would be on a real winner on here.

Have you sorted this ?

Cheers

J.P

Runwell-Steve said:
BrewDan said:
Good stuff, silly question but could I use this to make a fermentation fridge? I have the fridge I just want to get the bits to control the temperature.... Cheers and welcome

Yes, this is exactly the thing you need to make a fermentation fridge. The only extra thing you need is a heat source such as a 60 watt bar heater.
cheers Steve will get one of the tubular bar heaters from fleabay and one of these controllers

Vossy1 said:
Frisp said:
The Pid PT100 marriage sems to be a difficult issue . I bought the wrong PID / thermocouple a while back. Im looking again am confused as hell. Anyone who can put a Pid/PT100/thermowell for pipeswork/ SSR would be on a real winner on here.

Have you sorted this ?

Cheers

J.P
not yet, I threw the last one in the back of a cupboard and its now shall we say "dissapeared".
I am looking for the right Pid/SSR/PT100 combination to cover al eventualities such as stepped mashes... but its a bloody minefeild. Oh and I have ordered some of those turned down nuts for an M8 thread so any PT100 needs to be M8 thread...

Plan is one pid on HLT (Going to pump and cirulate the Liquor to get the temp even) One PID for the HX and teh MT and One for the bolier as I have two elements and one aint enough and two boils it like its sat on a lava flow.... so one element will be working off a Pid..
Jim

:cheers: to our new sponsors, STC1000 ordered on Saturday and has just arrived ! Now I need to get a brew on to test it out :grin:

Ordered one of these the other day and its already in the post (cheers Tim) with any luck it will be here in time for Christmas

Tim

Welcome, I see you sell heat trace...any chance you can sell longer lengths - unterminated? Or even cut to length with one end terminated?

I have some I acquired free and I plugged it into my temp controller and it's wound round and round my fermentor to give what is effectively a heating jacket. I get fantastic temp control meaning I can brew any ale in (a "scottish" at -1C ambient) winter (even Saisons at 35C) with just some jacket insulation around the outside.

Farmbrew said:
Tim

Welcome, I see you sell heat trace...any chance you can sell longer lengths - unterminated? Or even cut to length with one end terminated?

I have some I acquired free and I plugged it into my temp controller and it's wound round and round my fermentor to give what is effectively a heating jacket. I get fantastic temp control meaning I can brew any ale in (a "scottish" at -1C ambient) winter (even Saisons at 35C) with just some jacket insulation around the outside.

Tell us more Tim... Tell us more.. Any Pics..

Farmbrew said:
Tim

@FB, sorry, just saw your query.

Yes, I can do heat trace in any length - terminated or not.

It's 10W p/m.

Name your spec and I'll see what there is. I've often thought about making brew belts.

@Frisp - do you need pics of the trace?

My main clientbase for the tracing has been window cleaners or anyone who needs to protect outdoor or otherwise vulnerable pipework, but as alluded to, it has many more uses.

Frisp said:
@FB, sorry, just saw your query.

Yes, I can do heat trace in any length - terminated or not.

It's 10W p/m.

Name your spec and I'll see what there is. I've often thought about making brew belts.

The stuff you sell is self regulated - I'm using the raw stuff...I'll rustle up a pic...

It's not technically a brew belt as they are pitiously tiny...I'm using loads!

10W p/m should be okay but just needs one end terminated and the other with a connector so it can be plugged into a temp contoller.

FB, how do you propose to secure the trace against the vessel? On brew belts, the end has a termination with a hole in the heat shrunk part - this might be tricky, but far from impossible, to achieve with the stuff I have.

In fact, thinking about it, I guess one could insert some sort of washer/other thing with a hole/slot in it, and simply encase it as part of the heat shrink process. Idea!

Also, with the constant wattage - does that not just heat up up up your brew? Maybe that's what you want?

But yes, self reg trace will do just that - but it will respond to the ambient of the room it's in, so not sure if that's a good thing either.

Let me know, ok?

Thanks.

Tim

Cedaronics said:
FB, how do you propose to secure the trace against the vessel? On brew belts, the end has a termination with a hole in the heat shrunk part - this might be tricky, but far from impossible, to achieve with the stuff I have.

I currently use duct tape but I'm looking for some sort of elastic baggage mesh at the moment - this will wrap around the heat trace to keep a snug fit. The terminated end would probably have to have a sucker attachment or something in a "for sale" product.

My heat trace is 20W p/m industrial (orange stuff). I had a look at heat pads (with trace in them) but these were bespoke and expensive. When running using a simpole temp controller there is a temp spike - so I ramp up slowly in steps i.e. 75% the 100% temp. This wouldn't be needed with a PID controller.
As I said..I'll send a piccy!

This is just to let you know that Tim is currently in hospital and is unable to deal with any orders. Any orders that have recently been made will be processed as soon as he gets out of hospital. Thank you for your understanding this is all due to unforeseen circumstances. Robyn ( Tim's wife).

Cedaronics said:
This is just to let you know that Tim is currently in hospital and is unable to deal with any orders. Any orders that have recently been made will be processed as soon as he gets out of hospital. Thank you for your understanding this is all due to unforeseen circumstances. Robyn ( Tim's wife).

Thats not good news. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Im sure I speak for everyone when I say give him our good wishes from all at the Homebrew Forum.

snail59 said:
Cedaronics said:

Thats not good news. Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Im sure I speak for everyone when I say give him our good wishes from all at the Homebrew Forum.

Well said Mick. Please pass on the forums best wishes to Tim.

snail59 said:
Cedaronics said:

+1. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

dennisking said:
snail59 said:
Cedaronics said:

+1. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

+2. Get well soon Tim.

Hi all

I'm on three hours leave from the hospital for lunch so got home and can access the forum for this minute. I have to get back by 2pm for more meds.

I know a few people have been trying to contact me for a controller but I have not been ale to reply (something about a Vodaphone dongle not letting me access a brew forum - maybe I'm not old enough, at 50?!)

Anyway, please be patient, and I'll do my best to get back into gear and start things rolling again.

FYI I have another three weeks of anti-biotics to try to tackle this endocarditis, so a bit more uphill yet.

See you when I get back.

TIm

Back