The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.
Having read threads from this forum for a while decided to join. I started all grain brewing in 1979 (BIAB) using a 'bruheat' system for those long enough in the tooth to remember them! That kit lasted a surprisingly large number of years and was replaced by a Peco system which has now been replaced with a Brewzilla 3.1.1, which I will be trying out this week.
I began my 'apprenticeship' using Dave Line's book, ' brewing beers like those you buy' but for a long time now have just developed recipes for my own taste by trial and occasional error! I brew English beer styles bitter, pale ales, stout and porter styles mainly for bottles but also for the occasional barrel. Really happy with what I produce but always learning!
It is a great pastime!

Welcome, sounds like we could learn a lot from you! How did you get on with the brewzilla?

Welcome, sounds like we could learn a lot from you! How did you get on with the brewzilla?
Thanks. Well, it's a bit like starting all over again! I'm 3 brews into it now and I have yet to have one that ran without a problem to get round. Generally in relation to getting the mash right using the re circulation pump and the malt pipe being a different beast to a bag in a wide mashing bin, which will take some getting used to. I'm using rice hulls to help with keeping the mash loose as I am using up some pretty finely milled malt which never posed a problem with BIAB. I may have to invest in a malt mill.
Despite the problems the run off after boil has been the clearest I've ever had and the O.G. has met my expectations. Although I have yet to sample any of these I am confident they will be good.
As for learning from me, I'm not sure. We all do things according to our resources. I'm a kitchen brewer having no dedicated place but make it work for me. I don't get into the chemistry of it all, IBU's, colour control, only use basic water treatments, no analysis etc.
I just have a feel for what works for me and am happy doing that and reading forums like this. Oh, and I do like the BZ but will love it when I get the hang of it.

Sounds good! Best of luck. I have a Klarstein basic machine currently, no pump etc - always tempted by something 'better' but too many demands on my £s!

I'm definitely at the 'artisan' end of brewing rather than the scientist end, but love it all the same!

Latest posts

Back