New toy - brew belt controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Trying to start an argument, I have no problem with danglng a little molded plastic sensor by its wire from the lid just like you hsve no problem cutting a hole in the side of your fermenter and taking readings from there... to each his own. Either way is better than the yo-yoing temp I was experiencing! ;) (and I'm sure your beer's better than mine! :D )

Nah! Not arguing, just pullin yer leg.
With the heat source at the bottom, eddy/convection currents are set up in the brew which make the brew a reasonably even temperature.
You can split hairs and argue that it is minimally warmer at the top.
As to my beer being better than yours, it all comes down to personal taste, you may not like mine!

PS. x=5mm :twisted:

evanvine said:
You can split hairs and argue that it is minimally warmer at the top.

The opposite. In fact the coldest point (the last to be heated by free convection) would be at the bottom centre. I'm sure it makes naff all difference really. If we had to keep it constant to within a tenth of a degree this stuff would matter.

Nope, still looks correct. NB talking about a brew belt, not a heat mat. Convection will create a falling current at the centre with temperatures lowest at the bottom. The best place for an average reading is top centre therefore.

Hi Stunned,

Can you tell me what make-and-model the brewbelt is you are using, please? Is it the bit of red I see poking out from under the fv?

I'm looking to get hold of something to go under a stainless 100L fv (approx 50cm wide at the base, I think) which is coming my way, so that I can keep the brew at the correct temperature.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back