Newbie from Mid Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgk

Reaction score
Hi folks... hardly new really since I retired 9yrs ago and bought this small hobby farm... well matured ya might say. Newbie question at the bottom of intro..
Anyhoo.. this year tree fruit has been a disaster after a late frost but I had a glut of currants and decided to have a go at home brew wine.
At the mo I have 3 demijohns of blackcurrants and one of redcurrants on the go and i did 'cheat' and made up a ginger wine demijohn too.
I'm waiting for elderberries to ripen next.
I've planted some 80 fruit and nut trees over the years in addition to the pre-existing few apples and lots of wild damsons and hazel and sloes about the place as well as 40-odd soft fruit. If the currant wine is any good then i may well take cuttings and plant a heap more - about the only soft fruit I don't have to cage from the birdies.

After the initial must and rack into demijohns -3 weeks ago i have a good inch+ of lees in the demijohns. Do I wait and just let it ferment through or rack to new ones? If I do rack then do i top up with water, sugar water or leave more gap or turn 4 demijohns into 3? TIA
pgk

Latest posts

Back