Newbie pump fittings question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_c

Reaction score
I have managed to rescue a HI-GENE ale pump (no obvious model number) from a pub sale, so should be in working order - but parts seem easy to get reading around here :)

I wanted to just check everything I need to connect this to standard bag-in-box taps... My local brewery recommends their own adapters ; Box adapter

The pump appears to have a large-bore inlet - 12mm external, 8mm internal. It came attached to a short length of something like garden hose ?

So I think my shopping list should be

* a tap adapter + hose - Bag-in-Box BIB Cask Handpull Connection Pipe + Tap
* non return / check valve - Check Valve – High Performance Cask Ale Demand Valve ( 1/2" out should attach to this stub of pipe, and the box connector just plugs directly in )

Do I also need this barb adapter for the tap house to valve ? Tube to Hose, 3/8

There are some pictures here : Macclesfield house / bar / Ale Pump

If it's beer-in-boxes, can I get (heat up first !) and force the tap adapter hose into the pump ? Then unplug from the tap end and drain at end of day rather than worrying about a check valve ?

Hi, reading through this is how I see it.
You will need the john guest tube to hose 3/8 fitting to connect the box tube to the check valve. You will need to warm the hose to get it over the barb as per the instructions for the box tap.
I would replace the old hose from the pump to the check valve as it is probably pretty grubby and you may need it longer dependent on where you site the valve.. Do not use clear silicone hose for this. Something like this would do the trick. 5 METRES OF 10MM I/D BLUE FRESH WATER FOOD GRADE PIPE/HOSE CAMPERVAN MOTORHOME 5051153103181 | eBay
If your beer bag is higher than the pump or is under any pressure in it then you will need the check valve otherwise the beer will pour straight through the pump.

Thanks!

Plan for now is to just get it plumbed up and worry about neat and tidy, cutting the tubes to length etc later once sure of the final positions

Just thought I'd close this off with a picture of it in place, and first pint pulled :

20210211_165035-me.jpg

Back