The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barneyrubble37

Reaction score
Hello my name is Gary ,

Iam new to homebrew with one batch under my belt and two more on the go

Loving doing this but I have a problem wit the new two batches day one one of the brew was buble ing like crazy while the other one hasn't bubbled to day is day 7 put mu hydrometer in and it's going to the yellow mark bottling ,is this wright :cheers:

Hi mate, welcome. It can be - most beers finish between about 1.010 - 1.018, fermentation isn't always visually active but your hydrometer is your best friend. It can even have finished overnight if you didn't check it during that time! You need to take two readings a few days apart - if they match up, then it's done fermenting.

I suggest you give it a taste if you're really not sure, just sanitize a glass and dip it in. If it tastes like beer, it must have fermented! If it's overly sweet, it probably needs more time.

would give it an extra 3 days and re test sometimes it can go down further if you have the paitence to wait. Beer can taste like beer half way through fermenting and should not be used to judge that fermentation is over

Hi

I noted from a previous reply to this thread that if the beer tastes overly sweet it hasn't finished fermenting. My Wherry is supposedly conditioning - roughly following instructions I left it to secondary ferment for a couple of days and it has been conditoning for 2 weeks. It tastes sweet and hasn't cleared, though it is opaque rather than sludge. A response to an earlier question suggested that I should normally leave the beer to secondary ferment for a week or so. Should I therefore attach a brew belt to the conditioning beer and try to get it to have a few more days secondary fermenting (then sometime to condition) or just leave it for a couple more weeks to condition instead of trying to warm it up again?

Ta muchly :)
John

marengo said:
Hi

I noted from a previous reply to this thread that if the beer tastes overly sweet it hasn't finished fermenting. My Wherry is supposedly conditioning - roughly following instructions I left it to secondary ferment for a couple of days and it has been conditoning for 2 weeks. It tastes sweet and hasn't cleared, though it is opaque rather than sludge. A response to an earlier question suggested that I should normally leave the beer to secondary ferment for a week or so. Should I therefore attach a brew belt to the conditioning beer and try to get it to have a few more days secondary fermenting (then sometime to condition) or just leave it for a couple more weeks to condition instead of trying to warm it up again?

Ta muchly :)
John

It has belt on it just strange how it's not bubbled

Hi, I'm new here too and have been helped massively. Is there anywhere else for yur gas to escae rather than through the airlock? Gas will leak from where it's easiest to leak from so if there's a "gap" or hole it will bubble out of there rather than through your airlock.

Hi Aitch

Do you mean from the fermenting vessel? I had no problem as the airlock bubbled away pretty well.

Back