Newbies update, "learning on the job"....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
So my first cider brew, made from apples from the garden, finally took off. Today I went a bough a couple of glass demijohns, took an FG reading (1.000) and racked off.

Obviously a small amount of overspill fell in to my mouth, and I have to say I'd have drunk it there and then! Still, the man in the homebrew shop in Exeter suggested leaving it for a little while somewhere cool (even in the fridge) before bottling (it's in the garage).

In the other demijohn I bought I whipped up a quick TC using Tesco apple juice and a bit of "tropical mixed fruit" (who knows what that will do?!).

Anyway, apart from the minor success with the first brew here's a couple of newbie observations!

When clean a glass demijohn it becomes increasingly difficult to tell if the crud marks are on the inside or outside.

Always rotate the demijohn cleaning brush in an anti-clockwise direction or the handle will unscrew and the brush end fall in to the bottom of the bottle!

The plastic demijohn I had didn't seem to have the same capacity as the glass ones despite apparently both being "gallon" jars.

Siphoning is a pain in the @rse! Trying to get the tube to suck out as much of the brew as possible but not pick up a load of the lees was nigh on impossible, so I opted to lose a bit of the liquid rather than risk transferring rubbish to the new bottle.
I'm going to get a piece of rigid tubing similar to a bottling stick so I can more accurately and easily pick-up what I want from the FV.
I'm also going to trim the siphon tube to a shorter length, just what is necessary to reach from work-surface to floor.
Also, try warming the tube before you start and then stretch it a bit as this seems to take the "curls" out and make it all a bit easier.

My other main problem is I just keep forgetting to take the temperature of the mix when measuring the OG / FG. It's not as if there will be massive differences but it would be better discipline.

However, so far so good, should have a few bottles ready for Crimbo, I'll let you know how they taste!

NICK

...When clean a glass demijohn it becomes increasingly difficult to tell if the crud marks are on the inside or outside.

Always rotate the demijohn cleaning brush in an anti-clockwise direction or the handle will unscrew and the brush end fall in to the bottom of the bottle!.....

Dj's are like that, think of it as improving your fine eyesight and helping prevent you getting glasses or new glasses if already have them...lol :lol:

Thing is you often have to rotate in both directions to get stuff off, luckily theres superglue :)

When clean a glass demijohn it becomes increasingly difficult to tell if the crud marks are on the inside or outside.

Always rotate the demijohn cleaning brush in an anti-clockwise direction or the handle will unscrew and the brush end fall in to the bottom of the bottle!

The plastic demijohn I had didn't seem to have the same capacity as the glass ones despite apparently both being "gallon" jars.

Siphoning is a pain in the @rse! Trying to get the tube to suck out as much of the brew as possible but not pick up a load of the lees was nigh on impossible, so I opted to lose a bit of the liquid rather than risk transferring rubbish to the new bottle.
I'm going to get a piece of rigid tubing similar to a bottling stick so I can more accurately and easily pick-up what I want from the FV.
I'm also going to trim the siphon tube to a shorter length, just what is necessary to reach from work-surface to floor.
Also, try warming the tube before you start and then stretch it a bit as this seems to take the "curls" out and make it all a bit easier.

I made my racking cane longer by adding an extra length of cane and used a small length of syphon tube to join them if you also use a bucket clip (below) you can set the depth using a clothes peg.

Bucket Clip/Syphon Clamp - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58710

The Little Bottler - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58393

I have the DJ cleaner below and it works a treat.

I got mine on Ebay.

Carboy / Demijohn / Bottle Cleaner Clean Bottle. Drill Cleaning Brush Beer Wine

1374764777-60545300.jpg

Latest posts

Back