No bubbles in airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskunkeye

Reaction score
Hi all...I started a homebrew kit..bad cat..had it in for 4 days but no activity in the bubble thing...but I can see at the bottom of the barrel there is loads of movement in the sediment..what have I done wrong

Hi all...I started a homebrew kit..bad cat..had it in for 4 days but no activity in the bubble thing...but I can see at the bottom of the barrel there is loads of movement in the sediment..what have I done wrong
Probably nothing. Many fermentation buckets are not airtight. Airlock bubbles are lovely and reassuring but not essential by any means. Test the gravity in a week or so's time and I expect you'll find all is well.

I have 2 FV's one has always been airtight the other never has been, its reassuring to see bubbles when you start out but if you don't don't worry stuck and failed fermentations don't happen often so it'll be fine. ;)

My first ever batch have been on the go for 1 week now, not seen any bubbles but the gravity reading is reassuring. Like the above, I have not been concerned with no bubbles for the reasons mentioned

you can also put cling film around where the lid meets the bucket to improve the seal and maybe a bit of vaseline or similar around the airlock if the first suggestion doesn't give you bubbling or at least a displacement in your airlock

Probably nothing. Many fermentation buckets are not airtight. Airlock bubbles are lovely and reassuring but not essential by any means. Test the gravity in a week or so's time and I expect you'll find all is well.
Thanx m8 much appreciated

you can also put cling film around where the lid meets the bucket to improve the seal and maybe a bit of vaseline or similar around the airlock if the first suggestion doesn't give you bubbling or at least a displacement in your airlock
Many thanx

Don’t worry yet. Do a gravity reading like the others have said.
My current brew is a LME tin and beer Enhancer it had a very slow start and has next to no pressure in the bucket. I did a reading yesterday after 7 days and it’s down from1040 to 1012. I’m leaving it for around 4 more days then plan dry hopping then leave it a couple more. Give it plenty of time.

I have the same problem but i have an immersion heater and where the wire comes out the bung its not sealed and has gap's. I did a gravity reading tonight its only been in since Sunday and the gravity was 1022 from 1050 so its working had a taste of the sample i used and it left a bitter after taste is this normal ??

Latest posts

Back