No Chill in Cube Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in no chill. The reason I haven’t gone for it yet is that I have some of the Jerry can cubes for collecting RO water in (which look almost identical to the ones MM sell as no chill cubes). The ones I have have feet and mouldings in the base and I just worry about getting them clean with such a small hole for access.

How do others find them to clean up and get sanitary for next time round? And what’s your method for cleaning them?

Maybe I am worrying about nothing. It’s just experience from cleaning the all in one brewer and plastic fermenters it takes a bit of effort to do well, even when you have a big opening and good access. I guess as you’re not brewing in them or fermenting, the level of stuck on crud should be a lot less?

My cubes are not sold specifically for brewing, just some classic water carriers. I rinse out immediately after use, then pour some boiling water in and close cap, give it a swirl and drain again and then flush through with fresh water. If I have some starsan handy (from the fermenter) I will add to cube, swirl that around and drain.

On next use I will flush through with some clean water and sanitise again.

Not had an issue.

IMG_20220919_142717.jpg
IMG_20200720_214524.jpg

Last edited:
I am interested in no chill. The reason I haven’t gone for it yet is that I have some of the Jerry can cubes for collecting RO water in (which look almost identical to the ones MM sell as no chill cubes). The ones I have have feet and mouldings in the base and I just worry about getting them clean with such a small hole for access.

How do others find them to clean up and get sanitary for next time round? And what’s your method for cleaning them?

Maybe I am worrying about nothing. It’s just experience from cleaning the all in one brewer and plastic fermenters it takes a bit of effort to do well, even when you have a big opening and good access. I guess as you’re not brewing in them or fermenting, the level of stuck on crud should be a lot less?

Rinse immediately after use, then caustic TFR. If you are worried about contamination store with a splash on 40% alcohol in, until next use and then just drain.

I just rinse straight after I transfer to my fermenter with hot water, then Geterbrewed cleaner/steriliser with more hot water, rinse with cold water and try to get it as dry as possible.

Latest posts

Back