No hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeblebear

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MYO stout that is almost ready for bottling. It's been fermenting for three weeks now, and the SG was down to 1.014 on Monday. Yesterday I started another brew in my second FV, and when I was washing my equipment afterwards I dropped my hydrometer - it's now in very many pieces in my bin. I've ordered a new one but with things as they are who knows when it will arrive.

The airlock has stopped bubbling, if I leave it until the beginning of next week and the hydrometer hasn't arrived, should I be okay to bottle? I'm using coopers Carbonation drops in 500ml bottles, so I was planning on under carbonating anyway (it recommends 1 drop per 375ml bottle, I'm using 1 per 500ml as I don't like a very fizzy stout.) Or should I just wait it out until the hydrometer arrives?

I'm quite eager to get it bottled - it's only my second ever brew and my first has almost run out!

IMO I think you would be ok as generally stout kits do not attenuate as low as other ales so 14 or 12 seems a reasonable Finishing Gravity.
Under carbing is also a good idea for this style and because of no hydrometer. If you have a plastic bottle do at least one so you have a better idea if they are over carbing by how hard they become.
If you by any chance find that they are over carbing you can slowly release the caps and recap so as to release the Co2.
But from what you have said I think you will be ok

Back