Nordic Optical Thermopots

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"BarnsleyBrewer"Is yours a 50L, if yes can you easily do 10 gallon brews?
If you have 20L of water and around 10kg of grist how far off the top is it, could I easily have a spinning sparger above the grain bed? :hmm:

John

Yes and yes.
That would get you nearly two thirds up the tun ......spinny sparger no problem, it's how I do it.
I usually do 40 litre batches as that is all my boiler can handle, but I would imagine you could get a 60/70 litre batch of regular bitter out of it :D
If you like, you can borrow mine for a week or two when me and Steve pop over :?:
You'd be more than welcome to a couple of trial brews before shelling out yourself, I've brewed plenty lately and I'm almost out of malt anyway :shock: ....just let me know.

ATB

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the offer of the loan of you mash tun Mark but I'm definitely going to buy one :party: When I saw Steve's in action I immediately feel in love with shiny mash tuns,HLT's and boilers :oops:

John

No problem John.....very wise investment, you'll be more than happy I'm sure.

I had a little teething problem with mine first couple of runs.....didn't get the beer line that holds the false bottom in place to form a full seal and bits were getting though. Sorted now though and I'm very happy with it....efficiency is up and it will last me my brewing career I reckon.

Until I open the micro with you and Steve anyway :grin:

Hmm, am I getting the shiny bug already...? I think I do need a separate mash tun and coolers like Igloo go for around 60 euro here. A metal thermo would of course cost a little bit more but I guess with one I'd be pretty much set for life. My boiling kettle is 30 L, so with that I'm able to do 23-25 liter brew lengths. Do you think one of these 38,5 liter thermoses would be too big for mashes for those lengths? If I've understood it correctly, it's no good if the tun is too big and the grain bed too shallow, right? And would one be enough if I were to step up to 50 liter brews in the distant future?

Latest posts

Back