Norway presents brewers Strange & Charm of Quarky Brewing ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quark

Reaction score
HALLO!!!!
For all the nerdy brewers out there like us you'll get it from the title; for everyone else I'm Andi a.k.a. Charm and my better half is Sølve a.k.a Strange.
--->Strange & Charm are quarks which are parts of what make up the nucleus of an atom. Then "Quarky" like 'quirky' since none of the beer we make or want to make is exactly mainstream or common, it's all us, all special and (hopefully) all good ;)

I'm an American expat from the micro-brewery epicenter of the known universe--Colorado--now living here in Norway (a place decidedly NOT know for beer, of any sort really- which is a bit sad). Strange is a Norwegian and an experienced home brewer, but I'm new to the game and together we are exploring.
So far we have brewed a Dead Pony Club clone we called the Undead Unicorn Union which came out a perfect California Pale Ale, though I like to call it a "Colorado Pale Ale" since many Colorado beers are hoppier than their counterparts from the rest of the nation/world--and many people might just classify it as an IPA but not Coloradans--and a clone of Southern Teir's Crème Brûlée Stout we called an Imperial Crème Caramel.
{We are pretty proud of that one as it's hard to clone the flavor and we managed to get it smack-on!!! :drink: (Ours ended up a little sweeter than the original but the vanilla and caramel/roasted flavor was right on the money :D ) the only downfall was that it's a bit under carbonated, though it hasn't been in the bottles so long, so we'll see}
We have a clone of the Tactical Nuclear Penguin in process now--called Pingu (just the main stout without the freeze-ferementing because we LOVED that one and would seriously love to have a plain {not 32%} stout with THAT flavor...so, again, we'll see)
We're starting a New Year's "Lager" soon but it's more like a Pale Ale. (Considering calling it Year of Our Lord Odin <YOLO> 2014 hehe ;) )
Planning a clone of Stone's Arrogant B a s t a r d (thinking to call it The Dastardly D i c k) too, as well as a repeat of the Pingu (if it comes out like we hope) with the addition of some whiskey-soaked oak chips (using some whiskey we picked up from a trip to Scotland to add a bit of a more personal touch) might call it The Isle of Pingu {whiskey from the Isle of Skye ;) }
And since we're just getting our feet wet at the moment with brewing (Strange has been out of it for a couple years) we're running on a lot of pre-tested recipes, but we REALLY want to start designing our own :grin:
We're thinking of a chocolate stout, a traditional red ale, a wheat, and a blueberry something, and who knows what else!!
Outside of beer we have a couple of fruit wines planned as well as some mead; family traditions behind both of those ideas :)

So there you have it, who we are, what we do, and why we're here. (You should probably also know that I like to use A LOT of smileys... habit sorry :P)

So greetings all, and as we say in Norwegian:
:cheers: :drink: SKÅL!!! :drink: :cheers:

Hawkwind also sang 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' well worth a listen if you haven't already.

:-)

brewtim said:
Hawkwind also sang 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' well worth a listen if you haven't already.

:-)

Haven't heard that one nope.
*heads straight to Spotify to have a listen, grabs Strange and brings him along*
;)
Thanks!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'd be really interested in getting the recipe you used for the dead pony club clone, I really love that beer and would love to make something similar myself! :)

Cononthebarber said:
I'd be really interested in getting the recipe you used for the dead pony club clone, I really love that beer and would love to make something similar myself! :)

I'm a retard for posting to the recipe area apparently (Strange is the computer savvy one...) so here is the copy from BrewSmith (all I managed to figure out is how to put a copy and paste in here but I am still pretty proud ;-P )
We used extract for this, just so you know.
I guess it's kinda cheating but it was my first beer ever and Strange's first in close to 6 years...so we decided to make it a little easier on ourselves as we eased back into the swing of things.

Also, sorry this isn't very pretty...Like I said I'm not the computer genius of our little duo...So I did the best I could manage, but if something doesn't make sense or if you have questions just let me know! It'd be a shame to have something not work right on account of a technical-retardation :P because it really turned out excellent :)

Undead Unicorn Union

Colorado Pale Ale
Extract Date: 8/16/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 22,00 l
Brewer: Sølve & Andi
Boil Size: 13,87 l
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Pot ( 3 Gal/11.4 L) - Extract
End of Boil Volume 13,04 l
Brewhouse Efficiency: 7200,00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 20,49 l
Est Mash Efficiency 0,0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40,0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients

1,0 pkg (vial) California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) [35,49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Amt ____Name____ Type____ # _____%/IBU

0,35 kg___Cara-Pils/Dextrine __________ (3,9 EBC) Grain 1 12,1 %
0,10 kg___Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L ___(118,2 EBC) Grain 2 3,4 %
2,45 kg___Light Dry Extract _________ (15,8 EBC) Dry Extract 3 84,5 %

20,00 g ___ Citra ____________ [11,90 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 4 10,3 IBUs
10,00 g ___ Simcoe __________ [11,90 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 5 5,2 IBUs
8,00 g ___ Galaxy ____________ [15,00 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 6 5,2 IBUs

20,00 g ___ Galaxy ___________ [15,00 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 7 5,2 IBUs

55,00 g ___ Simcoe ___________ [11,90 %] - Aroma Steep 5,0 min Hop 8 0,0 IBUs
40,00 g ___ Citra _____________ [11,90 %] - Aroma Steep 5,0 min Hop 9 0,0 IBUs
37,00 g ___ Galaxy ____________ [15,00 %] - Aroma Steep 5,0 min Hop 10 0,0 IBUs

40,00 g ___ Citra ______________ [11,90 %] - Dry Hop 14,0 Days Hop 12 0,0 IBUs
35,00 g ___ Galaxy _____________ [15,00 %] - Dry Hop 14,0 Days Hop 13 0,0 IBUs
30,00 g ___ Simcoe _____________ [11,90 %] - Dry Hop 14,0 Days Hop 14 0,0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,041 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,011 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1,009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4,0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4,2 %
Bitterness: 25,9 IBUs
Calories: 378,4 kcal/l
Est Color: 13,5 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 2,90 kg
Sparge Water: 6,58 l
Grain Temperature: 22,2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75,6 C
Tun Temperature: 22,2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5,20

Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type:
Bottle Volumes of CO2: 23,0
Pressure/Weight: 1822,69 g
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 1822,69 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21,1 C
Age for: 30,00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Storage Temperature: 18,3 C

Notes:

FG 1.008-1.009.
Tastes good already at bottling after 2 weeks. Quite unclear... hopefully gets better after storage.

Next time I think dryhopping should happen after primary fermentation to avoid all the aroma disappearing out the yeast lock.

Consider dry hopping with flowers next time...to avoid murkyness in beer.

Tasted the first one on the 2nd october. Amazing! :)

Still very unclear. Use clarifying agent next time.

A lot of yeast in the bottles, although somewhat varying.
Consider using secondary fermentor for this beer.

Like I said if something doesn't make sense or doesn't look quite right it's probably my fault, so just give me a shout :)

Hope you enjoy this one as much as we do!! :cheers:

Hehe, welcome chaps! I see you're well versed in the ways of Brewdog! Looks like a cool recipe; one to try methinks :)

Ceejay said:
I see you're well versed in the ways of Brewdog! Looks like a cool recipe; one to try methinks :)

Yea :) we LOVE Brewdog--actually bought stocks in it for Strange as our anniversary gift--he loved it ;) Trying to make it to the 2014 Brewer Days...

And thanks! We made a few changes in ours compared to some other recipes we'd seen, I'm SUPER pleased with the way it came out :D

If you do brew it, will you let me know what you think? I would LOVE feedback from other brewers :)

quark said:
Ceejay said:
I see you're well versed in the ways of Brewdog! Looks like a cool recipe; one to try methinks :)

Yea :) we LOVE Brewdog--actually bought stocks in it for Strange as our anniversary gift--he loved it ;) Trying to make it to the 2014 Brewer Days...

And thanks! We made a few changes in ours compared to some other recipes we'd seen, I'm SUPER pleased with the way it came out :D

If you do brew it, will you let me know what you think? I would LOVE feedback from other brewers :)

Sure thing. I love that hop schedule - right up my street, with a tonne of my favourite hops at flame out. I'll definitely give it a go. Is there a reason for the Cal Ale V yeast, rather than plain old WLP001?

Ceejay said:
Sure thing. I love that hop schedule - right up my street, with a tonne of my favourite hops at flame out. I'll definitely give it a go. Is there a reason for the Cal Ale V yeast, rather than plain old WLP001?

YES! US TOO!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Simcoe and Citra! YUMM!!! The Simcoe gives it an AWESOME aroma and the Citra gives this beer a really nice...well...citrus-y flavor from middle to end. I LOVE it! And the Galaxy just round it out. SO GOOD! Definitely my favorite beer to date, it's a perfect I want a soft IPA beer and also perfect for times when I am like "I have NO CLUE WHICH beer I want" great with food, or when you get home from work and just want to kick back for a little while :)

I think the reason we used the Cal Ale V was because it was the most recommended by the other recipes we looked at, but I can't say that for sure; the other reason being that our brew-shop (the only one in this part of Norway) was sold out of the 001 at the time. Strange did the shopping for that since he had experience--I was mostly just learning...
But by all means experiment :) that's half the fun of home-brewing, finding out what works best :) and definitely let me know! :)

Latest posts

Back