Not one single bubble...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linux Advocate

Reaction score
Hi all. Apologies for jumping straight into a question but I've been a member for a couple of weeks and not yet found a solution to my "issue" despite searching this forum.
Having bought a complete and new Ballihoo brewing kit (with extra bottles and a keg, thank you Emmaus) I started to brew again after very many years of buying beer in cans and bottles. At Circa £5.30 a pint in the local pubs it seemed like the right time to to brew my own again.
So far I have brewed 1: Wilko triple hopped IPA, 2: Wilko Mexican Cerveca, 3: Wilko "Wherry" Norfolk ale. I have another (Pilgrims Hope festival ale) ready to go when bottles or keg are empty. Won't be long!
They have all turned out very well and exceedingly drinkable. As we all know, the biggest problem with home brewing is having the patience to wait!

However.....Not one brew has ever shown a single bubble through the airlock. I got an airlock with the kit which is a tube within a tube, but as I saw not one bubble I assumed I was doing something wrong so purchased a standard airlock and swapped them. Not one bubble on any of the three brews I have complete so far with either airlock. The seal on the fermenting barrel is clean and tight. I followed the brewing instructions rigorously which of course state "when bubbling stops or FG reaches..."
I live in a small flat so was expecting to hear as well as see the bubbles but nowt, nothing, zilch, zero. Yet the brews are excellent.

Should I worry? Should I be doing something different?
Meticulous with cleanliness and sterilising, good average temperature on these summer days, a variety of kits but not a single bubble. I have both kegged and bottled beers recently and all is well.
Please either reassure me or tell me I'm a fool. I can take it! I'll just smile and carry on brewing without airlock bubbles.

Thanks all and happy brewing to you everyone.

Ian

Bubbles through the airlock is an unreliable indicator of fermentation so lack of bubbles is no big deal. I brewed a batch of bitter yesterday and no bubbles, but the smell is wonderful and there's a half inch of foam.

Welcome to the forum Linux Advocate. Where are you based? The beer in your locals seems exceptionally pricey, unless I'm so much out of touch.

Here's a really stupid question:
Did you put any liquid in the airlocks?

By and large, I don't use airlocks as they tend to be unreliable AND I often draw off a sample without remembering to removethe airlock, which sucks the vodka (I put vodka in the airlocks when I use them) into the beer.

If your beer tastes good and the bottles don't explode then all is well.
All the best.

Those balihoo style buckets never seem to seal completely, so don’t worry about it. if you press down on the lid you might hear the air coming out of the edge of the bucket. If you really, really want to see the bubbles make your next purchase a fermenter with a screw on lid. But it’s not likely to make any difference to the resulting beer.

1624463397826.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, I have found lots of great advice and help on here from very knowledgeable people.

As everyone else had mentioned it is probably your fermenting vessel is not airtight. I feel your pain, there's nothing like waiting for that first bubble and that happy feeling when it finally arrives.

From a personal perspective, I'm a bit OCD so would get an airtight vessel for piece of mind but you are obviously making beer you enjoy so if you are happy with the lack of bubbles then just continue as you are.

Just out of interest, are you using a hydrometer to determine when your beer is ready ?

Welcome to the forum Linux Advocate. Where are you based? The beer in your locals seems exceptionally pricey, unless I'm so much out of touch.

By and large, I don't use airlocks as they tend to be unreliable AND I often draw off a sample without remembering to removethe airlock, which sucks the vodka (I put vodka in the airlocks when I use them) into the beer.

All the best.
Can you remember when you got change for a quid?
My first pint was 13p and it was cider which was dearer than bitter which was 10p, jeese I must be old

linux
As mentioned it appears that seals are not good try putting some Petroleum jelly i.e.Vasoline around the contact points lid bucket grommets airlock not only does it force out gasses through the airlock itself but will prevent infection getting in. Just a thought

All the best.
Hi. I live in Saddleworth. Lots of ten bob millionaires! But yes, the average price of a pint of commercial beer is £5.30. Tourist trap prices in Uppermill.
There are pubs that brew their own and therefore, not beholding to a greedy brewery, can charge their own prices. Often less.

Yes, I added water to the airlock.
I have just kegged Some Norfolk ale which both smells and tastes good...just a tiny sample of course, but had a good foam around the barrel and a good low FG so I guess I should just stop fretting and enjoy the brews.

linux
As mentioned it appears that seals are not good try putting some Petroleum jelly i.e.Vasoline around the contact points lid bucket grommets airlock not only does it force out gasses through the airlock itself but will prevent infection getting in. Just a thought
Thanks Tickle. Another good idea. I'll wait four days for when I add the hops to my latest Brew, Pilgrims hope, then add vaseline inside the bucket seal. It doesn't seem to matter that I see not one bubble as the beer is very drinkable and is patently fermenting well. It's just a little disconcerting that all kit instructions suggest waiting for the bubbles to cease or a FG of.....I'll just go with the FG. Means taking the lid off more often of course whereas bubbles are a visual indicator.
I'll sure try the vaselin though. Thanks again.

My dad used to tell me about his experiences in the Service Corps during WW2. His favourite saying was " if it ain't broke don't fix it". Sounds like your brewing is working @Linux Advocate so no need to fix it athumb..
Indeed. However, the new technology mantra, especially from the likes of micro$oft is if it ain't broke, break it.
Sorry, off track.
Linux
I have two out of three FV's that don't bubble with the airlock in situ, no problems with what comes out, all very drinkable.
Understood. Stop worrying, start enjoying. Thanks I will.
Linux

Latest posts

Back