Not quite Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonV

Reaction score
Had some hops left over from my Punk IPA brew, inspired by the Malt Miller recipe.

6 Kilos of Maris Otter
100g total of Chinnook, Ahtanum, Rakau and Mosaic hops.
2 packs Muntons Gold yeast.
After mashing for 90 minutes and sparging I had about 32 litres of wort, a bit less than with the Punk.
Boiled for 90 minutes and put 75g of the hop mix in after 60 minutes and a couple of teaspoons of Irish Moss after 75.
Ended up with a bit under 30l and, then broke the thermometer!
After cooling and guessing the temp the OG was 1065.
It was fermenting slowly at about 18C (new digital thermometer) so after two days I put the brewbelt round the bin and it went up to about 22C and th SG came down from 1035 to 1010 overnight.
So drained it into the cask with the rest of the hops.
Had a sample with my breakfast this morning (start of a bad habit?) tastes promising.
Don
Bypassed the cut-out on the Buffalo 40l boiler with a link so it can be put back to original if required and no problems with the boil this time.

So is tbere just the 75g of hops boiled for the last 30 mins? Did you not use the other 25g of the mix?

Ah ok. I like your simplicity, nix up left over hops and bung them in at 30 mins. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the comment. I like the simple approach. Recent brews have been just pale malt with one variety of hop.
This is the first brew for a while that has fermented right down, some have stalled at 1025, I wonder if it's because I used a double pack of yeast.

In this case Munton's Gold.
Previous ones were Safale.

I've not had any stalling problems with Safale S04 or US05.

Do you re-hydrate the yeast, and aerate the wort well?

Yes to both. Eventually I manage to get the stalled brews going again.

Interested how this turns out as I have just done a brew with all the hops (Cascade and centennial) added within the last 15 mins. (well not all as I used 15g of Chinook in the mash)

It would be nice if the malt Miller started doing hop and yeast only kits so you could add to extract or a coopers Kit for example.

Back