Oak Smoked Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Bought some Oak Smoked Wheat Beer on the spur of the moment and planning on doing a variation of this.
I poured all my beer made with Rauchmalz down the sink but chewing on these grains they taste nice.
All suggestions welcome. Cheers

http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/rezepte/Weyermann®_Grätzer_Bier_special_english.pdf

5l stovetop batch
Oak Smoked Wheat Beer 500g
Vienna 200g
Munich or Maris Otter 300g
Cara Wheat 50g
Cara Munich 50g

T58 Yeast
Hallertauer Hersbrucker enough for 20IBU

I did a biab with oak smoked and used a kilo of it. Didn't come out as Smokey as I thought it would. There's normally a fine line between smoked, and railways if you know what I mean. Next time I'll be adding more smoke.

I hear what your saying. That's why only doing 5l. If it turns out good i may experiment with steeping and take 5l from a brew and add it to that. Iv'e never done a step mash before so i may leave that out. Recipe calls for 80% oak smoked but its only 2.3%. I reckon i would gag drinking that so upping the ABV. Fingers crossed, will either be drinkable or down the drain.

I made a Polish Grodziskie with 4Kg of Oak Smoked Wheat, with a step mash at 38' for 30 mins, 52' for 30 mins and 70' for another 30 mins. 2 hour boil adding 60g of lublin hops after 60 mins and another 14g after another 30 mins. Came out at 3.7% and is very drinkable. I also used a Gervin English Ale yeast, and used 3 carbonation drops per bottle for a 500ml bottle. I would definitely make it again at some point. Unfortunately it didn't keep its head for long, but still it's a nice drink.

20160806_115712.jpg

Latest posts

Back