Odd smell - oatmeal stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout on the 15/7, bottled on the 31/7, so still a young beer. 7 days fermenting I took a reading and noticed an odd smell. Beer tasted ok. When bottling it still had the smell, and again tasted fine. I've just tried a bottle to see how it's progressing and it still has this odd smell. The beer still tastes fine, tho obviously needs longer in the bottle. I used tap water that was treated with a campden tablet overnight (as per a previous brew with no smell issues) and the beer doesn't strike me as being infected. I can't really describe the smell, just odd. The yeast was MJ44, again one I've used before without issues. Maybe the smell is due to one of the ingredients (roasted barley/choc malt?). I hope it goes over time, but can anyone offer any suggestions? I had to swap in Fuggles due to stupidly not having Challenger hops, but I can't see that resulting in an odd smell. Bit baffled. Shame I can't attach a smell on the thread!! 😂😂

Maybe a relief, I'd say! 😃

Oatmeal stout is a go-to brew for me, but I've never noticed any unusual smells.
It's an odd one this. On first smell after 7 days fermenting my initial thought was the brew is infected. However the taste is fine, if a bit bland at the moment. I read on another thread an issue about a smell and one poster suggested it may go with time conditioning. Will see. Do you think the brew could have been infected with something that wouldn't affect the taste but give rise to a smell? Am brewing again tomorrow so will see how that goes, hopefully nothing in the fermenter that will pass on. Think a good soak in steralizer called for in the morning!! Cheers.

I'm afraid I can't offer anything to help, Nottsbeer, other than, wait and see. Obviously giving all your kit a thorough clean is a good idea.

I'm afraid I can't offer anything to help, Nottsbeer, other than, wait and see. Obviously giving all your kit a thorough clean is a good idea.
👍. Out of interest, how long do your oatmeal stouts take to mature? I'm thinking that these may need around 4 weeks in the bottle before coming good?

Four weeks is good. I'd probably be drinking it after three. It's never struck me as a beer that takes an especially long time to mature, unlike some.

Latest posts

Back