Off The Mark

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjam

Landlord.
Reaction score
No big deal for you guys but exciting for me :D

24/8/2013.

40 pints of St. Peter's Ruby Red. OG 1.040 at 22.6 C

Mother and baby doing well ......... I think :)

The Supermarket can make more money outta me for a while. But no, I can't wait :P

bobsbeer said:
And you picked a good kit to start with.

Thanks bob, though it's only because I've been reading some threads here and taking the lead of members like yourself. There's only one pub in London that stocks St Peter's, 'The Jerusalem Arms' in Farringdon. It's about the best pint I've had IMO.

Ideal temp I understand is 18-22 C, so without a brewing fridge what happens if my thermometer says 26.2 C :?: :shock:

fbsf said:
- 26 won't kill the yeast but it might end up with some solventy flavours if it gets much higher..

Yuck :sick:

Even at 18:30 it's still 23.3 :shock:

Wet towel added ;) Thanks for the help guys. I owe you a pint :D if it's drinkable :lol:

fbsf said:
Ah, is that beer temp or ambient?

Ambient fbsf. Central London is unusual though, night time temp doesn't drop much, it's 20:00 at the mo and still 22.2 C :!:

Just a little update.

I'm still nursing my baby and all seems well, lets hope the wet towels did the trick. Good advice BTW, my research suggests that an evaporation method can easily lower the temp by 5 degrees C so I'm grateful for the advice :hat:
I've since managed to find a little shady spot in the garden and now it's got about 18C at night and 23.5 iby day.
Fermentation was rapid for the first couple of days and now (day 5) I'm down to about a bubble an hour ..... if that! is this normal?

So today I'm starting Cherry WOW, Blackcurrent WOW and Grape and Raspberry WOW :D :D :D
Tell me, is this Wurzel bloke a legend around here?

The bubbles are created as your yeast converts the sugars in your wort into alcohol :D . It will bubble like the clappers near the start (when there is lots of sugar) then slow down towards the end as most of the sugar has already been converted into yummy yummy alcohol.

Well done with your first brew. Brew days to me are always a big day, one I look forward to and enjoy, then a nervous wait for a few weeks before bottling.

Well Done, just think in a few weeks you will be sampling some of your own wares :thumb: :thumb:

Day 13 and it's just about stopped fermenting, test again soon.

It's cloudy but the trail jar tasted great :) ...... I think it did anyway cus I'm imagining all kinds of bad after tastes that might only be cured by another test :twisted:

Tell me, was my OG test flawed or misread, I quoted 1030 in my first post and that doesn't seem right to me :wha: it's at 1010 now.

Finally bottled :D

26 days to stop ferment and clear! longer than expected but I don't mind and I've learnt a lot in the last 26 days. :geek:

With poor siphoning and all I've got 500ml not in a bottle but in a glass ...... can't see any reason not to drink this un-conditioned brew :whistle:

your reading of 1030 is low but as its from the kit I would suggest that you didn't mix it well enough or read the reading wrong. It WILL be up around 1040 have no fear.
I found this beer to be a dirty beer and took some while to clear in the bottle, there was quite a bit of sediment on the bottle bottoms but the good news is it was almost solid and didn't get disturbed with pouring.
And better news is I found it to be the best tasting beer of any kit I made. Luvely jubbly.

edit

whether its your first brew day or 100th, kit or biab or all grain, its something to get excited over. If you don't, stop brewing and go sit in a pub.

I cracked :roll: :roll: :roll: I couldn't stand not knowing. Only in the bottle for 14 days and ........... :drink:

Bloody lovely :D After all my fretting with hot days, cold baths and cold towels it tastes brilliant. My only problem was a bit of cloud when I drained the bottle. I guess it wasn't quite as clear as I thought ........or perhaps trying to squeeze to much out with the siphon.
Also I could up the 80 gms for priming. But not bad for a 1st go :)

If you popped a little sugar in each bottle for conditioning then you will have some sediment in every bottle,,, by-product of the conditioning process. Pour carefully and none should dump in your glass if you stop just before the plume of yeast heads into your glass :)

Ah OK. Thanks Jeff. Yeah just a little sediment. I poured a Glass which was clear and a 2nd that was also OK, it was draining that last drop that did it .......... Even the glass with the sediment didn't taste bad! :)

Can I avoid it at an earlier stage?

Latest posts

Back