oh dear me

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobby

Reaction score
made a turbo raspberry/apple on saturday and just realized ive made a big cock up, i put 200g of sugar instead of 20 and checked the sg and the hydrometer almost sunk i can just see the tip, is this doomed or can i save it [-o<

=

just gonna be a little stronger 200 g ain't a lot anyway and if hydrometer has dropped either its done and gonna be very dry or you've got a broken hydrometer

pittsy said:
just gonna be a little stronger 200 g ain't a lot anyway and if hydrometer has dropped either its done and gonna be very dry or you've got a broken hydrometer

i think hydrometer might be broke as its one i was given, will try me old faithful, i used a raspberry syrup not juice and it does have quite a high sugar content, the recipe called for 20g not 200 but i had been on the stout all afternoon :D

if you added 200g sugar the hydrometer should read around 1.090 not the opposite we always add 200g sugar to our turbo cider and let it ferment right out as we like it dry.

the more sugar in suspension, the denser the liquid, the higher up the hydrometer should float - lowest values at the top, highest values at the bottom - a value of 1.000 or lower (0.995) the hydrometer should be mostly in the drink, a value aproaching 1.100 and the hydrometer should mostly be floating high like a lobster bouy.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet though.

Back