ok to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzy

Reaction score
i seen a juice in Tesco on offer so I bought it.. now wandering if it will be ok to make a version of WOW..

says on the bottle " Blueberry & blackberry juice drink, not from concentrate" from company called cracker Drinks Co

Ingredients:

Water, pressed fruit & juice 15% (apple puree 4%, blackberry puree 4%, grape juice 4%, blueberry puree 2%, lemon juice 1%) sugar, citric acid, natural flavour,antioxidant:ascorbic acid

nutritional info:

sugar 26.8g per 250ml (its a 1 litre carton)

I also bought
Tesco pure white grape juice, not from concentrate

Ingriedients: 100% white grape juice

Nutritional Info:

sugars 42g per 250ml (also a 1 litre carton)

will these 2 together be ok for making Wow and do I still use the same amount of sugar as it says in the wow instructions?
Im looking to make about a 13%abv wine.... Thanks :D

mozzy said:
will these 2 together be ok for making Wow and do I still use the same amount of sugar as it says in the wow instructions?
You can't make WOW without Orange juice, because that's what the ‘O’ stands for ;)

Then again, it seems you can make cider these days without apples, and WOW has now become a style rather than a specific recipe.

That combination sounds fine for making a juice wine to the WOW method though :thumb:

Added sugar needs to be about 850g (if making a gallon) or 975g (if making 5 litres).

haha Moley.. u knew what i ment ;)

yeah i'm making a gallon so shall use 850g sugar.. fankoooo

another thing, can I use my fermenting bucket with the lid loose instead of my PET Dj and airlock? I have a Dj freed up now but have 2 buckets, just wandering if i could start a proper WOW too (and yes made with orange juice in the other one!) :roll:

Hi Mozzy,
Firstly, I think you're asking your questions in the wrong part of the forum. This is the "How to..." section (note, no question mark at the end of the title). This particular section is where other brewers/winemakers post instructions about how to do or make things to educate the rest of us. i.e. recipes, etc.

You need the 'Wine & Cider Discussions' section... >>CLICK HERE<< ...you'll also receive more 'traffic' and therefore replies.

Also, please could you make your thread titles slightly more informative than 'Hmmmm' - it saves other peoples time if they don't have to open the thread to find they cannot help or it's not relevant to them. Cheers.

(Moley: sincere apologies if I'm stepping on your Moderator toes... I don't wish to appear officious but people seem to find it difficult enough to locate info without misplaced threads/questions)

can I use my fermenting bucket with the lid loose instead of my PET Dj and airlock?
Most fermenting buckets don't seal totally anyway (i.e. are not gas-tight) so just put the lid on as normal; some people add airlocks to 23/25L buckets by drilling a hole in the lid either for a suitable sized grommet or a rubber bung.
BTW, are you intending to make 23L of WOW/wine? You should keep the head-space to a minimum, so you don't want a few litres of liquid sat in the bottom of the bucket looking all lonely. BTW2, you can get 5L PET bottles full of 'natural' water from ASDA for £1.00 each; again all you have to do is drill a hole in the top for your grommet/bung & airlock.

BTW3, have you read Moleys tutorial on 'Supermarket Juice Wines"? ...>>CLICK HERE<<

HTH ;)

Thanks JC, and no toes were trodden on :thumb:

I seem to be moving at least half a dozen “How do I....?”s a week back to the Discussion areas :evil:

And mozzy, you can start any wine off in a bucket but it really shouldn't stay in there for very long. When fermentation is finished and you take the lid off, all that protective CO2 is going to get blown away and your wines will oxidise if they aren't racked to a closed fermenter, and those should be filled almost to the bung.

Back