One for the old Atari gamers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had an Atari 2600 which saved me a fortune as i used to feed the local pubs Defender coin op (first picture) with many a pound.

defenderb.png

Atari 2600 console.

_96529132_bbc_atari.jpg

defender22600.jpg

Atari confirms it is making a new video game console

Atari is making a new video game console, 40 years after the launch of the Video Computer System.
CEO Fred Chesnais told GamesBeat: "We're back in the hardware business."
Although there aren't many details available about the console, a new product called the Ataribox has been teased online.
Chesnais said that Atari's revival is well under way and confirmed it would be based on PC technology.

Retro gaming has had a revival in recent years, with Nintendo launching the the NES Classic Edition complete with old games such as Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda.
Atari has had a difficult past at times, with the company filing for bankruptcy protection in 2013.

Now it is best known for making a number of mobile games.
Brand licensing has also been more of a priority, with the Atari name planned for use in the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 film.
Find us on Instagram at BBCNewsbeat and follow us on Snapchat, search for bbc_newsbeat

That'd be great if the games were identical to those we'd play in the arcades in the late 70s and early 80s. Still think they're best and today's stuff is seriously lacking in the charm department! I recently downloaded Robotron and Tempest (remember those?) on PC and they are exactly the same. I could've cried with joy. Actually, I did.

you need to look up m.a.m.e

as of version 0.147 there were 25750 correctly dumped arcade roms. which equated to over 3800 different arcade titles. who'd have thunk it.

Note: this is purely to emphasize how many different titles were out there, far more than space invaders, defender (I hated that one) and pacman.

Pengo or astro blaster anybody?

Burger Time, mate, great game. I hated Defender too. Far too many buttons.

Nothing like retro arcade games to make me nostalgic.

A very simple game but very addictive, basically the tiles come down the conveyor belt and drop off the end you could make a stack of 4 tiles to clear them off the board or make combinations for more points.

klax_3.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lR5OX0-qrc[/ame]

That was my first ever games console (shared with my brother), what a Christmas that was, spent the rest of the day playing Space Invaders!

I've got the Atari emulator on my media centre PC as I want to introduce my kids to the games we played back in the day before they take XBox or Playstation as the norm. My eldest is quite enjoying Sonic the Hedgehog on a Megadrive emulator at the moment.

I had:

Atari 2600
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k!
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga (1Mb of memory!)
Sega Megadrive
Nintendo SNES
Sega Game Gear
Playstation 1
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Nintendo Wii
+ Various PCs

Stopped buying consoles when I no longer had time to play on them due to DIY and family pressures. Hoping we'll be getting something for the kids this Christmas that I may have to take over once they've gone to bed :D

Defender I could never do. Even now reminds me of a crowd of Chinese/Malaysian students round the machine in Glasgow University Union

ZX81
ZX Spectrum
Amiga 500
Amiga 1200

Consoles I've had most. Master System was the first but my "kids" (21 is the youngest) have taken the mantle and the have a PS4 and XBox One. Good thing is I get the hand me downs like XBox 360's and PS3's but like you Graz I don't have time.

In saying that my time is spent about computers. I play loads of small stakes profitable poker but I've recently went full circle and now develope for Android devices.

Is there a reliable amiga 500 program that goes on ur comp so u can play the games?
zool, monkey island, body blows, f1 grand prix( what a glorious box this came in), stunt jumper, syndicate, gods, speedball 2, cannon fodder just to name a few

ZX81
Consoles I've had most. Master System was the first but my "kids" (21 is the youngest) have taken the mantle and the have a PS4 and XBox One. Good thing is I get the hand me downs like XBox 360's and PS3's but like you Graz I don't have time..
I've no real interest in this except....
I know someone who has a son who had an Xbox. It caught fire whilst he was not in his bedroom. Next to it was an aerosol can which ultimately exploded, and that pushed out a wall and destabilised the roof, which has had to be detiled to make the property safe.
That was over four months ago and the house still has has a scaffolding tin hat over it, awaiting the insurance company to finally get their act together and make it good again.

Is there a reliable amiga 500 program that goes on ur comp so u can play the games?
zool, monkey island, body blows, f1 grand prix( what a glorious box this came in), stunt jumper, syndicate , gods, speedball 2, cannon fodder just to name a few

Pretty much my favourite games of all time ;)

I've no real interest in this except....
I know someone who has a son who had an Xbox. It caught fire whilst he was not in his bedroom. Next to it was an aerosol can which ultimately exploded, and that pushed out a wall and destabilised the roof, which has had to be detiled to make the property safe.
That was over four months ago and the house still has has a scaffolding tin hat over it, awaiting the insurance company to finally get their act together and make it good again.

So the Xbox became an ex box? Mind, they do tend to run incredibly hot.

zool, monkey island, body blows, f1 grand prix( what a glorious box this came in), stunt jumper, syndicate, gods, speedball 2, cannon fodder just to name a few

Have you tried steam? You can get some of the monkey island games from there.
You have to pay but it's not much.
Monkey Island is the one thing from my youth that the kids like. Anything else I show them just results in a blank expression at best.

Latest posts

Back