Ooops! Dropped the kit tin inside the fermenter..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone else said, I sterilise the cans. When I sterilise the FV I just chuck in everything I will use, except the packet of yeast. So FV, beer lit cans, tin opener, scissors etc all just gets steralised. Take it out with bare hands and theyre done too, , rinse everything off and make it straight away so when you make it the chance of contamination is small.

I do the same and consciously try not to touch anything else.

May be a little extreme, but I'm not like that normally

I've dropped a can in before and things have been fine.

If you've done a good job of sterilising then you should be fine, as I see it homebrew' is a battle between yeast (specifically the one you use for your brew) and bacteria - once one of those two takes control it tends to win.

In sterilising everything you're giving bacteria a massive set-back.

In introducing yeast from your sachet you are giving yeast a massive head start.

So the yeast should win and you get tasty beer.

As someone else said, I sterilise the cans. When I sterilise the FV I just chuck in everything I will use, except the packet of yeast. So FV, beer lit cans, tin opener, scissors etc all just gets steralised. Take it out with bare hands and theyre done too, , rinse everything off and make it straight away so when you make it the chance of contamination is small.

This is what I do. Mrs Bigjas thinks I'm a bit over the top, but rather safe than sorry is my motto. I use VWP and rinse really well, then I use Star San just to make sure......

Jas

take it from me its rather hard to ruin a brew unless you have a house like the Adams family:lol:chill itll be fine:wink:

Actually not so - the bit about the Adams familly house. Speaking from experience here.:lol:
Anyway I brew in an old farm building as the cobwebs in the house get really manky when they're dripping with condensation. As you can see from the photo the place is practically sterile...

mostly ghostly 2.JPG

Back