Ouch!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday my finger seemed better...woke this morning in a fair bit of pain and my hand starting to swell.
Had 5 hours in the hospital,x-ray and blood test..and a tetanus jab and 7 days worth of antibiotics.

Keep a close eye on that Clint, a couple of years ago l i got what i thought was gout in my big toe (i have suffered with gout for years) i ignored it and took pain killers but i noticed the red area was spreading along the top of my foot the pain got so bad one night i couldn't walk on it and to cut a long story short the doctor came out and told me i had sepsis gave me antibiotics and told merto keep a very close eye on it and if it spread any further i had to go to hospital and would have antibiotics directly into a vein, i drew a line on my foot with marker pen and kept my fingers crossed, luckily for me the antibiotics did their thing and a hospital visit was not needed.

Last edited:
Yesterday my finger seemed better...woke this morning in a fair bit of pain and my hand starting to swell.
Had 5 hours in the hospital,x-ray and blood test..and a tetanus jab and 7 days worth of antibiotics.
good to hear you got it looked at. it's easy to put things off in the current climate.

If i am not wrong Clint you are a gentleman of a certain age.
Take care of yourself.
We like your contributions on here.
get well soon old bean athumb..
Immortality is the blessing of the young.(or so they think.)

Last edited:
Puncture wounds are often liable to get infected, ten years ago i knelt on a copper nail in our old boat & the point went in far enough for infection to get in the sac around my kneecap, a big abscess resulted & antibiotics from the doctor didnt work. Went back a few days later & another doctor took one look & sent me straight to A&E, I dont think i realised how bad it was until i jumped the queue in a full waiting room & was rushed in for an emergency operation to cut it open & wash it out, 5 days of IV antibiotics later they sent me home. Doctor said they get about 3 similar cases a week in Southend hospital & the amputation rate was nearly 50/50.
It can often start with something like a rose thorn scratch or even a gnat or horsefly bite, then its cellulitis & sepsis if you dont catch it early enough.

It can often start with something like a rose thorn scratch or even a gnat or horsefly bite, then its cellulitis & sepsis if you dont catch it early enough.

Believe me when i got sepsis i hadn't a clue how serious it is i am glad i didn't need to go into hospital.

Latest posts

Back