Out of all the Youngs bitter kits, what do people prefer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
I have made a Young's Harvest Yorkshire Bitter; however, I accidentally only added 1kg of sugar when this kit required 1.5kg. It still was fantastic.

I am currently fermenting a Young's Definitive Bitter bought from Wilkinson for £6.99. Lets hope it's good value for money. 1kg Sugar.

What is just the Harvest Bitter like? Not Yorkshire.

Also are there any better bitter kits than Young's?

I am also a keen Real Ale fan; however, I havent brewed one because most are nearly £20.

What is the Tom Caxton Real Ale like? That is only about £10.

How is it different to the Real Ale kits like Woodfordes?

Thanks

The Woodfordes and other more expensive kits include more malt extract and generally don't require you to chuck in a ton of sugar as well. Sugar has no flavour and only adds alcohol so kits that use it tend to taste a bit thin. It depends on whether you think it's worth spending the extra on a better product.

Also real ale is just a term invented by a few people when forming the campaign for it, ie CAMRA. The more expensive kits are no more 'real' than the others, but IMO are worth it.

Tom Caxton's real ale is great; many people on this forum have tried it with great success. I was pretty impressed myself, as were those I gave some too - though you will have to add your own sugar (about 1.3kg of spray malt will do the trick).

Latest posts

Back