Over night chilling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From recent reading, concensus seems to be with dry yeasts you don't need to aerate ( though most do anyway if only as emptying from kettle ) but with liquid yeasts you do.

I always used to, ahem, thrash my wort but recently pitched after over night chilling in my brew fridge and didn't bother. Both began fermentation with no obvious difference.

From recent reading, concensus seems to be with dry yeasts you don't need to aerate ( though most do anyway if only as emptying from kettle ) but with liquid yeasts you do.

I always used to, ahem, thrash my wort but recently pitched after over night chilling in my brew fridge and didn't bother. Both began fermentation with no obvious difference.
Does the reused dry yeast count as liquid?

Does the wort needs to be aerated again once chilled or is it still good if vigorously paddled while hot?
Paddling whilst hot won't do much good at all. Gases (oxygen) dissolve much better in cold liquids than hot ones. You'll get very little dissolved oxygen in hot wort. So yes, you'll need to aerate when it's cold.
Does the reused dry yeast count as liquid?
Yes

I've always been concerned about a wild yeast getting a head start before pitching with a no chill method, but i do hate the amount of water that's wasted running it through a chiller.

Does the wort needs to be aerated again once chilled or is it still good if vigorously paddled while hot?
I've been using a no chill cube, and I am not sure if it needs aeration but it certainly gets aerated when emptying in to fermenter. I appreciate that doesn't really answer the question if you're considering no chill in the fermenter itself.
If using dry yeast, I don't thing aeration is required anyway.
EDIT: I should have gone to page 2 of the thread before replying 😫

Back